What happened to Honda Quality

• Member Contributer

I dropped into the local Honda dealer today to smell the new Honda Plastic and was quite taken with my first impression of the new 2024 Tran Alp 750

I found the design components were smaller than the Africa Twin and the seat looked like I could almost live with it

The problem was I noticed a small pool of Honda Coolant on the floor under the bike just below the water pump area. I thought at first this must be one that got through production 

somehow with a bad seal somewhere or the coolant tank was over filled during assembly, that is until I noticed the other new Trans Alp in the show room had the same coolant leak, Christ these two must be sisters in the production.

Of course the next thing was me laying on the floor to check serial numbers, to my surprise there was a 300 bike spread, about this time I caught the attention of a salesman and he asked how I was doing, I told him about the coolant leak and he just laughed and said the shop finally has something to do on a winter day and brushed it off.

In all my years I never saw a Honda leak anything, let alone on the dealership floor, sign of the times I guess, sure not like the VFR's we all love.

• Member Contributer

I don't recall hearing of any issues with the CB750 Hornet that was recently released with the same motor. Maybe your "interesting" climate has had an effect on a stationary bike engine that has not seen any running? I was thinking that if you cooled the system down a lot that would pull extra coolant out of the reservoir, and then when "normal" temperatures were applied the coolant expands and pressurises the system but not with the engine running and the ceramic seal wetted up? I don't live anywhere that cold so this is pure speculation on my part.