Honda, CBR, 600 RR won’t turn off

Joshcole987

I have a 2008 Honda CBR, 600RR I have had trouble where my battery got drained and the bike wouldn’t turn off until Dead I replaced the battery as I was attaching the wires to the battery it was refusing to turn off I had a little Google and I tapped the solenoid with the rubber bit of a screwdriver,  it went back to normal it’s been riding fine for two days now is having the same problem and has drained a brand-new battery is it worth taking it into a shop or just trying to replace the solenoid thanks 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Joshcole987 said:

I have a 2008 Honda CBR, 600RR I have had trouble where my battery got drained and the bike wouldn’t turn off until Dead I replaced the battery as I was attaching the wires to the battery it was refusing to turn off I had a little Google and I tapped the solenoid with the rubber bit of a screwdriver,  it went back to normal it’s been riding fine for two days now is having the same problem and has drained a brand-new battery is it worth taking it into a shop or just trying to replace the solenoid thanks 

Assuming the Starter Relay wiring is similar to the VFR.

Remove the Red Starter Relay electrical connector and undo some of the insulation tape. Check for a Red wire to Yellow/red wire short. Refer attached picture.

Take a look at the Starter Circuit wiring diagram attached, you'll see if this short happens your Starter Relay Coil will energize permanently until you either disconnect the Battery or remove  Main Fuse A 30amp, housed in the Starter Relay.

Once you have sorted I would Definetly replace the Starter Relay just on spec as it would have taken a beating, I hope the Starter Motor has survived the ordeal.!!

20210626_091415.thumb.jpg.0b4b1c14fbfd9e1c867f1dd243fb7f51.jpg

VFR-StartCircuit2.thumb.jpg.c6ea47a0cc969db8dd4b79b49d9da063.jpg

• Member Contributer

Bit more info....

Are you saying the Starter Motor wont turn off? Or are you saying the engine continues to run with Ignition Off, Kill Switch Off, and can't be turned off? Are there any wiring modifications?

If its a Starter Motor issue....

With a multimeter set it to Buzzer or lowest ohms range. With the red plug removed from the Relay, and Ignition to Off. Probe the Red wire and the Yellow/red wire spade connectors of the plug (not at the relay) flex the lead and make sure you see No Continuity or Buzz. Any intermittent buzz or continuity means you have a short.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like he means the ignition would not turn off. Kill switch will always kill an engine. Flattening the battery is normally a stuck relay keeping a circuit energised. Attach jump leads from a car to bike battery, start car & then pull every relay out of its socket one at a time, there are only a few. You can short cut this by pulling the circuit fuses one at a time until ignition goes off, then you'll know what circuit relay is the likely culprit. Have fun.

• Member Contributer

Hi Mowhawk.

Would seem to be an impossibility that the engine could run with both Ignition and Kill switches to Off. Discounting any strange wiring mods!

His mention of..."I replaced the battery as I was attaching the wires to the battery it was refusing to turn off I had a little Google and I tapped the solenoid with the rubber bit of a screwdriver,  it went back to normal"

This made me think he was referring to the Starter Motor, with the possibility of a sticking solenoid or a wiring short. 

Until we get some better details from the OP it all sounds a little vague to me.

Cheers.

• Like 1