5th Gen Harris Carbon Hugger

Gaz66

Hi Peeps.

Long time biker here,  40 plus yrs riding.

Own a 1999 5th Gen (Pearl Yellow) love it.

Weathers crap here in the UK, so it's time for a few more mods while bike's off the road over winter, done a few mods to date.

Junked "Pair Valve" system, CNC blanking caps fitted.

K&N air filter.

Iridium plugs.

Coil on plug mod to come, all parts in stock.

Full refurb of OEM exhaust system + Viper race can, plan to wrap the headers at some point (Titanium cloth) in stock.

Full strip/service of brakes, new master cyl service kits, new clutch master/slave service kits.

No plan to junk linked brakes, I quite like em, had a few Honda's with linked systems.

Engine serviced.

Cooling system serviced.

Set starter valves (correctly) big improvement below 3,000rpm.

ZX10R rear shock mod, all parts in stock, mod done, just needs fitting onto bike.

Front fork service yet to do, considering sourcing CBR600f3 internals to gain rebound damping control, good parts are hard to find in the UK.

Rethal bar mod to do, modified a spare top yoke to take FZS1000 bar mounts, all parts now painted & in stock, inc ST1300 throttle cables (£15 ebay).

Owned this bike a couple of yrs, done a few sensible mods to date, some yet to complete.

Recently acquired an, as new Harris Carbon hugger for a 5th Gen ... It's a super lightweight bit of kit, very thin Carbon fibre, weighs nothing, but it's very flimsy & came without a fitting kit, it's the type that fits over the OEM chain guard/brake hose section,  single mounting hols that matches up to the OEM chain guard  mount on the swinger just in front of the rear sprocket, but no other brackets of any kind to mount the hugger section from flopping around.

Hugger has 2 holes cut into the arch of the hugger sort of behind the rear foot rest hanger area, more biased to the right side/ exhaust can side, looks like there should be some rubber grommet affair that takes two top hat bushes & some form of bracket that bolts under the hugger to these mounts & down to the swinger somewhere, no holes in the swinger that I can see would be of use to mount it to.

Suppose I could drill the swinger & install a thread crimp mount to bolt a bracket to, but reluctant to drill this swinger if there's a better option.

I'm able to fab up an alloy bracket, got some 3mm chequer plate in the garage doing nothing, just wondering if anyone has any pics of the correct brackets so I can get a sense of what needs fabricating.

All info is appreciated.

Rgds 

Gaz (UK)

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

I have a Pyramid Plastics hugger on mine, also a surprisingly flimsy piece that has seen some tyre-hugger interaction in its life...Has a bracket attached to the brake line bracket, and is moulded to sit atop the swingarm at it's leading edge. 

The Pyramid instructions show a loooong cable tie looping through a couple of slots on the leading edge of the hugger and wrapping right around the swingarm in front of the tyre and through the shock tunnel. 

On 12/21/2023 at 9:56 PM, Terry said:

I have a Pyramid Plastics hugger on mine, also a surprisingly flimsy piece that has seen some tyre-hugger interaction in its life...Has a bracket attached to the brake line bracket, and is moulded to sit atop the swingarm at it's leading edge. 

The Pyramid instructions show a loooong cable tie looping through a couple of slots on the leading edge of the hugger and wrapping right around the swingarm in front of the tyre and through the shock tunnel. 

Hi Terry.

Cheers for the input, pyramid stuff is moulded a bit different from this Carbon affair I have.

I've since discovered that Harris don't fabricate them at all, they just farm the orders out, maybe why mine's a bit of a different design to Bren's pics in his gallery, his pics have given me insight into what kinda bracket needs fabricating, which is close to what I imagined, always helps to see stuff for real, before diving in with the jigsaw.

Cheers to Terry & Bren for their input👍

• Like 3