Oil Pump Chain & Engine Vibration

RodRides

Good Day All!  My 2010 VFR1200F seems to have developed an engine vibration, not a wheel or other movement vibration but an engine vibration.  I actually didn't notice it until I started riding my ZX14 this year and then went back to the VFR to find a significant difference in vibration levels.  I took the right case cover off to inspect the cam chains/tensioners and found them fine. I did see, in my opinion, A LOT of slack in the oil scavenge pump drive chain.  I had a look around the wide web and have not seen reports of failure for this chain but its current condition unnerves me.  I did come across undiagnosed vibration that occurs around 30,000km (18500mi).  I have ordered a new chain, chain guide and sprockets (these parts are not expensive at all) and will install just to see what the difference is compared to brand new but have a look at this 25 sec video and tell me if this looks normal to you 

• Member Contributer

When I opened up my VTR1000F (78000km) looking for a rattle I found the same sort of slack. I suspect they are all like that; we are normally used to looking at cam chains which must be kept very tight to avoid timing issues, but I guess the oil pump chain only needs to be able to stay on the sprockets. The water pump chain in the VTR was just the same. The rattle in my VTR was only obvious at low revs and in neutral and turned out to be slack in the hub damper springs of the clutch. 

IMG_3668.JPG

• 1 month later...

Thank you for posting, I pulled the cover off to fix the oil leak around the Crank Angle Sensor cable and noticed the slack in the oil pump chain, I was concerned but not since seeing your video as mine looks identical. I have 40,000 km on mine FYI.🙂