A little help please.

ronimalvfr

• Member Contributer

My 03 is finally revolting against me. Took for a ride, about 100 miles out, I stopped and bs’d with a friend from work and it has not ran right since. Not firing on right side front and back cylinders, so I know it has to be electrical. Changed plugs, moved coil packs around no change. Getting voltage on the black/white wire with key on. Ground is good but when I turn key to on it looses continuity to ground. I’m sure somebody else has had this problem 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, ronimalvfr said:

Ground is good but when I turn key to on it looses continuity to ground. I’m sure somebody else has had this problem

Sounds like you may have already found the cause! A poor/high resistance joint, or damage to the Ground wire.

Try clipping your voltmeter Black lead to the battery Negative, switch On your Ignition and measure the Ground you say you are loosing, if you're measuring a voltage then you've confirmed a bad Ground, definitely causing Ignitors 3 and 4 to fail.

Perhaps as bmart mentioned a rodent has had a wire nibble, worth checking for any damaged wires.

Without any visable damage, the difficulty is locating just where the Ground issue might be. It might require running a new Ground wire for the two Igniters. Or similar to the 5th gen Orange ground block the 6gen will have them as well.

Here's where three different Ground blocks exist on various 6gen versions. See what you can locate on yours! These blocks are multiple Ground junctions and can develop burnt joints and poor connections causing various systems to become intermittent or complete failures.

- Yellow one located behind the front cowl in the harness left side of the bike.

- Orange one located behind the 18P Blue connector just above the left radiator

- Gray one located in the harness just behind the Coolant Reserve Tank.

Good Luck let's know how you get on.

4a38e918eb04195d94ded805dbce7728.jpg

1259471075_Frontground.JPG.d7ffba39878debe42cea0cf67946c4db.jpeg.jpg

IMG_0969.JPG