05 VFR - Mechanical idiot in need of help

gates

• Member Contributer

Disclaimer:  I am not a mechanic and have little aptitude for motors or dismantling motorcycles.

Problem:  My motorcycle ran fine earlier this season but now won’t start.

Motorcycle:  2005 VFR800A, had a full service performed in late 2022.  No prior issues.

Background:  My motorcycle has been running great for the past 18 years until a few weeks ago, although I haven’t ridden it much in the last 5 years (maybe 200 miles a year).  I had a full service (spark plugs, fluids replaced, new chain, new tires, etc) at the end of last season.  I started it and ran to the grocery store a few times this year.  Here is what I’ve done, noticed, and tried thus far:

1.    I noticed that the battery wasn’t holding a charge.  I could keep it on the battery tender and it would start consistently, but a few days off the battery charger and it wouldn’t turn over.
2.    I got a new battery and replaced it.  Now it will turn over but not start.  I put back the old battery and charged it, same deal.  I tried a jump pack, same deal.  I don’t think it’s the battery.
3.    All the lights come on and look “normal,” from what I remember.
4.    Had a friend come over, he said the starter sounded fine, he thought maybe it could be old/ bad fuel.
5.    Drained the fuel out of the tank and put in a gallon of new fuel.  Same issue.
6.    Tried to eliminate kill switches (main and kickstand/ neutral).  The main kill switch off doesn’t turn try turning over.  The main switch is on, in gear, kickstand down, and doesn’t try turning over.  The main switch is on, in neutral, kickstand down, starter tries starting.  The main switch is on, in neutral, kickstand up, starter tries starting.
7.    Removed side plastics (PIA) and checked fuses on both left and right fuse boxes – they all look good.
8.    Had a more experienced motorcycle friend come over.  He said that he would expect to hear the fuel pump when turned on, but doesn’t seem to hear it.  We found an accessible spark plug and pulled it.  He said it looked brand new.  Squirted some starter fluid in and put the spark plug back.  Tried starting, but nothing different.  He said that we should have heard something if it was getting sparked.
9.    Tried again a little later, and when trying to start, we can smell the starter fluid, but we only hear the starter.

So, he thinks it might be something electrical – but before we try anything else, I thought I’d see if any of the wonderful people on this discussion board might have ideas for diagnosing the issue.

It’s frustrating because it was starting and running fine right before I replaced the battery.

I do have a service manual, but it might as well be written in Greek.

Thanks for any ideas.  

• Member Contributer

If I read that correctly, you are not hearing the fuel pump prime.

When you turn the key to on and with the kill switch in "on" position, you should hear a whine from within the fuel tank for 2-3 seconds. Do you?

If the fuel pump is not running, that is your first symptom. It definitely won't start until that is sorted out.

• Member Contributer

Another thing. Does the Fi light go out shortly after switching on, or does it remain on?

Not hearing the Fuel Pump prime and the Fi light remaining On is an indication of power loss to all your EFI stuff, this power is supplied by Main Fuse B 30amp located next to the Starter Relay, you'll need to do a close inspection of this fuse, its holder and its wiring which can suffer badly from overheating and high resistance joints, see attached.

Let's know how you get on, with these checks, photos will help if your not sure.

EF79D2E6-8E27-4F00-87F3-C99F83E6BE32.thumb.jpeg.09d26801311b53185228c34b60382593.jpeg.jpg

Archived