suggested maintenance, common problems, "new" to me '02 VFR with about 11k miles

Hi all,

What do I need to look out for maintenance, common problems, suggested upgrades?

I've only test road the bike a few hundred feet I love it but already concerned about how HOT it runs. The cooling fan did come on but still wow.

thank you

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, stahlvogel said:

Hi all,

What do I need to look out for maintenance, common problems, suggested upgrades?

I've only test road the bike a few hundred feet I love it but already concerned about how HOT it runs. The cooling fan did come on but still wow.

thank you

Check the Reserve Tank coolant level. You can view its level at the rear of the left front cowl. Cooling Fan should switch on between 208 to 215 degF.

Before purchasing check and ask....

What Servicing has been done? 

- Oil and Filter changes?

- Warm engine Idle Speed should be 1200rpm.

- Should have had at least a couple of Coolant fluid replacements.

- Brake and clutch fluid, should be done every two years, the bike is now 21 years old! How old is the current fluid?

- Has it been regularly ridden or has it sat year after year, possibly causing fuel injector issues, tank corrosion etc. Inspect inside the tank for visible corrosion!

- Make sure you get the full tool kit, important you have the chain adjuster tool and its extension handle

- Make sure you get the Rear Suspension adjusting C spanner.

- Owners booklet, any service information history, two ignition keys.

- Rear seat cowl.

- Pillion handles and their blanking covers.

- Any electrical issues? Has the R/R been replaced/upgraded?

- How old is the battery?

- How old are the tires?

- Has the bike had the front harness recall modification done? See Attached.

Properly test ride it going through all gears, get a feel for brakes, suspension and steering, engine smoothness and acceleration.

Good Luck.

6e9de7bb-181a-4611-84ce-509ddd820842_2002-2005_vfr800_safety_recall_wire_harness_replacement.pdf

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Grum said:

Check the Reserve Tank coolant level. You can view its level at the rear of the left front cowl. Cooling Fan should switch on between 208 to 215 degF.

Before purchasing check and ask....

What Servicing has been done? 

- Oil and Filter changes?

- Warm engine Idle Speed should be 1200rpm.

- Should have had at least a couple of Coolant fluid replacements.

- Brake and clutch fluid, should be done every two years, the bike is now 21 years old! How old is the current fluid?

- Has it been regularly ridden or has it sat year after year, possibly causing fuel injector issues, tank corrosion etc. Inspect inside the tank for visible corrosion!

- Make sure you get the full tool kit, important you have the chain adjuster tool and its extension handle

- Make sure you get the Rear Suspension adjusting C spanner.

- Owners booklet, any service information history, two ignition keys.

- Rear seat cowl.

- Pillion handles and their blanking covers.

- Any electrical issues? Has the R/R been replaced/upgraded?

- How old is the battery?

- How old are the tires?

- Has the bike had the front harness recall modification done? See Attached.

Properly test ride it going through all gears, get a feel for brakes, suspension and steering, engine smoothness and acceleration.

Good Luck.

6e9de7bb-181a-4611-84ce-509ddd820842_2002-2005_vfr800_safety_recall_wire_harness_replacement.pdf 2.78 MB · 2 downloads

Listen to this guy lol. I'd add to get a multimeter out and follow that electrical guide for figuring out the state of your electrical system. It's not complicated but it's good to know if you need to replace the RegRec or Stator. 

Also, because the bike is old, nothing is off the table to break lol. I've had my 05 since October and I've learned this a few different ways. 🙂

And yeah, the bike keeps a lot more heat than the last two bikes i owned. I'm not sure if it's funny fairing design or that fan that blows hot air into the center of the bike but it's something. 

Have fun!

Archived