It lives - Need Fuel Filler Cap - Paint Repairs

wawasonqo

Morning/afternoon/evening Folks,

It's alive.

10 MB video
https://icedrive.net/s/gQCzCD9PGg9vA8fzSba2YRW8bWD7

I should have recorded things from the beginning, DUH!

I got the Throttle Body and Air Filter Housing reinstalled last night and the tank yesterday (now) my time.

It took maybe 30 to 45 seconds to properly cough into life and a bit of throttle to keep it going until it warmed up enough and stabilised.

After some further warming up it idled around 1100 rpm.

I have had it up to 5000 rpm so far and I've had it up to 71° C.

Now it starts without any use of the throttle.

Should I get it up to 85° C and let it sit there for a while and then hit the Kill Switch and check the Spark Plugs once the motor has cooled?

A new or good second hand Fuel Filler Cap is required. Has anybody had experience buying from either of the 2 following sources?

https://yumbo-jp.com/en/catalog/motorcycle/honda/vfr800/1227-vfr800fi-ac-1998/73699-fuel-tank.html

https://en.impex-jp.com/catalogs/moto/honda-other/vtr1000/vtr1000f2-2002-england-7661/tank-fuel-514451.html

There are some Paint Bubble blemishes on top of the tank (see photos) that appeared after I put fuel in the tank after having finished the cleaning of the interior.

There were more pinholes than I was aware of. I had repaired a couple internally with JB Weld TankWeld as I was worried about fumes from the petrol exacerbating the problem which appears to be confirmed with the appearance of 4 new ones.

https://www.jbweld.com/product/tankweld

Can these be repaired externally with the JB Weld TankWeld by a Paint Shop because I sure don't want to go through the rigmarole of extracting and reinstalling the Fuel Pump Assembly again after which I still may not be able to locate the pinholes as they are hidden by the Venting Chamber at the top of tank below the recess for the Fuel Filler Cap?

Does anyone have a reliable source for the paint for this bike? - Colour: PB-215C, Code: PB215

The 2 that burst did so after I had started running the motor. Possibly the vibration and heat from the motor was the last straw so to speak.

Off topic, but:
I was looking at the Workshop manual for the original VFR750 RC24 1986. I bought the first in Adelaide (Sth. Oz.). Best looking VFR and one of the most beautiful bikes ever made.

I knew the first generation bikes had external filters but wasn't aware or couldn't remember they also used a fuel pump. Does anyone know why a fuel pump was used? Initial searching indicates that not all the carburetted V4s used Fuel Pumps. Other information suggests the fuel pump came into play after switching to reserve which may explain why I can't recall hearing it.

Let's go back to K.I.S.S. bikes please, though the V4 Rumble is good to hear again. Surely it should be possible to have the fuel pump and filter outside of the tank. I also like the sound of the later generation BMW Boxers. Rode an R1100S once from Queanbeyan (east of Canberra) out to the coast and back. Awesome motor!

Thanks!

20230308-1-BurstPinholeBubbles.jpg

20230308-2-SmallPinholeBubble.jpg

20230308-3-SmallPinholeBubble.jpg

• Member Contributer

Sorry can't help with the paint blisters, hopefully someone with knowledge of this will come by.

You've really perserverd and did the whole lot, good job 👍

Hope you get the last few niggles sorted and you're set.

19 minutes ago, Bren said:

You've really perserverd and did the whole lot, good job 👍

Yeah, steady as she goes mate. No use getting in a panic. Anyone need a Throttle Body Removal mechanic 🤔

VTR1000F Firestorm Generation 2 with the 19 litre Fuel Tank - No Fuel Injection, No Fuel Pump would be the way to go. Did ride one once on the Track. Honda Riders Club test and ride day. However, it was poorly set up - front tyre was low on air I think, so didn't push it. We only got 2 laps on each of 3 bikes to elect as our first 3 choices - 98 VFR800FiW, Blackbird and the VTR. At the time I had a 96 4th Gen. 98 VFR Didn't feel much different, Blackbird wasn't as nimble through the corners.

• 4 weeks later...

The only thing with the paint blister is to sand them down to the metal.

Although you can get the exact colour is spray can format only a new paint job will make it match. 

Sanding would stop it for getting worse over time, may be age, damp lack of prep many reasons.

Good luck..

Archived