Gasket/donut too large for OEM muffler

Knight

1999 VFR800: My tech removed an aftermarket muffler and installed a Honda muffler. It will not go on far enough. The tech states the gasket is too wide and he has never seen anything like this. He trimmed 1/3" off the gasket and got the muffler on enough to bolt it correctly.

The muffler is a revised part not the original (Perhaps it was created for the 2000?) and the gasket part never changed through the 2001 bike. I was wondering if Honda left the revised muffler backward compatible with the 99 but the installer has to trim the gasket. (?) It does however not seem right to trim these gaskets though (irrespective of if they still have asbestos in them?) Is there a method to press this muffler on further? 

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm not clear on what you mean in your post by wide (diameter presumably?) or what is stopping the silencer/muffler going on far enough. (that sounds more like the length (i.e. measurement parallel to exhaust tubing).

Anyway, I've looked at part numbers for 99-01 and they are all the same (I checked for England, but you could do same in USA in case there were market differences).   I changed the gasket when I refitted mine not long ago.  I'd bought the gasket a long time before so can't be sure if it was a genuine part or aftermarket.  I know it took a couple of goes and the gasket got beaten up in the fitting (i.e. bits got pared off by the silencer as it went on).  The diameter was slightly too big.  

But I think that's how these are meant to be.  The muffler inlet will not be a precise size/shape (especially not on refitting) so the gasket has to be big enough to fill any voids and then the collar will cinch down on it.   You certainly don't want it to be on the small side.

• Member Contributer

It’s a very tight fit. Your tech shouldn’t have needed to cut anything, if the gasket is OEM. It takes a lot of patience, fiddling, and lube, to get them joined together. Likewise, it’s almost impossible to get them separated. 

12 hours ago, stuartb3502 said:

I'm not clear on what you mean in your post by wide (diameter presumably?) or what is stopping the silencer/muffler going on far enough. (that sounds more like the length (i.e. measurement parallel to exhaust tubing).

Yes exactly, the length, my bad on the wording.

Thank both you very much! I did notice that the gasket is soft and compressible so I suspected such, but I have no personal experience and could not question this tech who is extremely aggressive at pointing out his OEM certifications. Needless to say, that was his last job. 

Archived