5th gen VFR800 split exhaust system?

CraigG

Looking at exhaust options for clearing a fireblade swing arm on a 5th gen, and got to thinking. would an RCV style split exhaust work on the 5th gen? so the rear bank being joined together, and the front bank being joined together, with separate end cans for front and rear. one exiting under the foot peg, the other up high at the back.

Not settled on a seat unit yet, I have an SV one mocked up, but now thinking maybe a CBR1K seat unit with the under tail exhaust to service the rear bank? 

looking at buying a 8th gen downpipe set to allow the front mount intercoolers, but only using the head pipes and discarding the collector unit for custom (asked both Lextek and Delkevic if they would supply just the 4 pipes but unfortunately not). 

• Member Contributer

Don’t do that. My ‘98 ran like absolute shit, with the cylinders paired that way. Put the stock header back on and it ran perfect. Put on the VFRD header and it’s better yet. 

In an e-mail exchange with Black Widow, their rep blamed my PC5 and open airbox as being too highly modified. IMO, their pairing and collector flow too out-of-sync and poorly for anything other than a stock tune. 

If it were me, I’d split the collector under the swingarm and try to find some original Erion Racing cans from an RC51. 

• Member Contributer

Good Luck!

It be cool to see a final project

*Some dimensions, features, and specifications of the header will be taken from the TBR.
The new header will incorporate the following specifications from the original TBR header design:
-header construction will be from 18 gauge 304 stainless steel tubing, [0.049"/1.24mm wall thickness]
-header will have 38mm od primary tubes [1.5" od]
-header will have 41.5mm od secondary tubes [1 5/8" od]
-header will have 51mm od collector tubing [2" od]
-header's rear primary tube junctions will be fastened by spring tension fittings
-header's left front and left rear primary tubes will merge
-header's right front and right rear primary tubes will merge

-header will have no crossover of front or rear primary tubes
-header's collector exit tube will have a 51mm od [See Note c below]
-header's tubing will be mandrel bent

Archived