Well, the forecast for Portland the next few days sucks. Looks like snow is on the way. Well, I guess I'll start working on the bike then. It's been sitting in the garage for quite a while. I don't think it's been started since early December. :unsure:
Anyway, my plans for the next few weeks is to (in order of importance):
â€¢ Do the valve check
â€¢ Change out the fork fluid
â€¢ Flush out the radiator
â€¢ Swap out rear shock with one from a Blackbird
â€¢ Put 98/99 headers on the bike
â€¢ Redo some of auxillary wiring.
Besides oil, oil filters, and brake fluid, the bike's never had any kind of major service done to it. I'm positive it still has the original antifreeze and fork oil that was put into it January 2002 when it come from the factory. So, this will be good. :thumbsup:
I'll probably keep this blog entry up-to-date with my winter maintance happenings.
Wed. Jan 10th, 2006
Just picked up a European-spec right gearswitch. Hopefully it'll just plug right into my wiring harness no problem, but I know that's not going to be the case. :rolleyes: The parts fiche actually lists four seperate wiring harnesses for the 6th gen (one for Canadan/USA, one for Europe, one for Australia, and another for France). Anyway, the important thing is now I've got the headlight button on the right gearswitch. I'll figure out some way to wire it all together. :thumbsup:
Wed. Jan 17th, 2006
Finally got around to ordering some Stopper Slide Pins for the valve clearance check. They should be here within a week. In the meantime, I should probably check out JetHot. I seem to remember hearing that the 5th gen headers were regular steel while the 6th gen headers were stainless steel. Don't want me "new" headers to rust out. That would suck.
Thur. Jan 18th, 2006
Got the Euro-spec right gearswitch today. Yup, just like I thought, it's not going to be a simple plug-n-play job. This is going to take some serious rewiring. <_<
Wed. Jan 30th, 2006
Well, so far I've managed to tear down my spare engine for practice. Now, it's time to tear my bike apart. Already got the tank moved off to the side (supported by two milk crates stacked on top of each other with a 5-gallon bucket in the top crate). I had to go out last night and buy a new screwdriver so I can get the throttle body taken off the boots. Tonight, I hope to have the bike tore down to the valves.
Thur. Jan 31th, 2006
Remove the throttle bodies last night. I also drained the gas tank and stuck it in the corner out of the way. Pull the spark plug coils off too. I also had to remove my air horns. I'll probably start taking the exhaust off today. I sent my catless headers to Jet-Hot last week, so those should be coming back next week hopefully. While I have the exhaust off, I can also swap out my rear shock with my Blackbird shook too.