3rd gen Rear Cowl Bolt Mystery

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

I've had the rear cowl off of my FP for a few months while I mess about with the rear suspension mods, and now that I'm moving on to the rear subframe stuff (e.g., running a modified wiring harness around the back of it, rather than through the middle), I've been mounting and dis-mounting it a lot.  But this puzzles me:

20161123_191150x.jpg

That's the OEM shouldered M6 lower cowl bolt, which screws into the passenger footpeg hanger through a rubber grommet retained in the cowl.  But the shoulder is 9.5mm OD and the ID of the grommet is easily 12mm, so it moves around quite a bit.  Is that right? 

Cheers,

7 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Still haven't figured it out!

I was thinking I might search for Honda part numbers with the same prefix and look at photos online, perhaps ordering any likely alternatives.  But I still wonder if I've mixed up my parts somehow...

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Wrong rubbah methink....

what you have there is #12 (rear cowl section to sub frame)

Knipsel.PNG.e7fb146edd4f63e44414a39cfbbf214c.PNG

what you want is #2  (sir fry chicken with bamboo shoots... :goofy:)

Knipsel.PNG.30c568abcd32192e4130b76eae8fbc5a.PNG

• Member Contributer

Thanks, but that would have been too easy!  I've found a couple of part numbers that might fit, but I've also found that the grommet I have is the one Honda wanted to be used there...  It is supposed to be a loose fit.  Maybe I will just leave it as is, rather than try to re-engineer it!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I couldn't possibly comment about that...  But I am removing the passenger footpeg hangers anyway (into which these fairing bolts go), so it won't make any difference.  I may have them bolt into the side wings for the new aluminum undertray I'm making, but if not I'll just put a washer and a nut on the other side and keep the cosmetics the same.  Much ado about nothing!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I ended up buying a short length of 14mm OD, 2mm wall, aluminum tube on eBay, from which I will slice two tiny 6mm lengths, which will be used as bushings to take up the extra space.  

Honda may have wanted a loose fit between those side fairing panels and the footpeg hanger--I don't know.  (But note that these particular bolts are not going to attach the rear cowl to anything, as mentioned above.)

Ciao,

Archived