Clutch - Air In The System?

I've just realized that after I don't use the bike for a few days, when I start to go, clutch and speed switch, it gets in speed but immediatelly stops running as the clutch don't release. After restart and doing the same process it works well, just a small movement when it gets in speed.

The fluids have been changed a few weeks ago in service. Before that, the it didn't do that. There may can be air in the system?

• Member Contributer

Probably air in the clutch system ,try rocking bike engine off clutch in and in gear once or twice before starting it see what happens .

Remove clutch reservoir, hold clutch lever in and release very very slowly, you'll see air bubbles rising.

Or, tie an elastic band (etc) round the lever so it's pulled into the bar and leave over night, should do the same thing but more thoroughly.

Alternatively, buy a bleed kit from Halfords (£10) it has a one way valve so you can leave the bleed nipple open and pump the lever without worrying about air/fluid getting back in. Just remember to keep the reservoir topped up.

• Member Contributer

tie an elastic band (etc) round the lever so it's pulled into the bar and leave over night, should do the same thing but more thoroughly.

dont ever repeat this again.. its a bull crap myth that DOESNT WORK!!! :computer-noworky:

when you squeeze the lever you put the system under pressure.. no bubbles are rising other than the would over night anyway...

pump the clutch..

remove the 2 bolts holding the bar clamp in place.. remove the clutch master cylinder OFF THE BAR with line still attached. pointing the end of the lever at the ceiling.. tap the line with the hand of a screw driver .. tap the master cylinder a few times..

install back on bar.. .

test.. does it work ? great!! :fing02:

you still have a problem.. ?? :mellow2:

remove the slave with line still attached.. .. ( the part that pushes the rod into the clutch.)

pump the lever so the slave piston comes out about a 1/2 inch or so..

remove the MC top cover..

SLOWLY press the slave piston in... reassemble everything..

you should be good to go!! :wheel:

And me, yes it pressurises the system and this causes the bubbles to form and rise, simple physics, then when you release the lever, bubbles escape. Your method is good for problems when bleeding but you are only back bleeding when you press the clutch slave cylinder, it sometimes works and sometimes not. The idea of unfastening the master cylinder is a ggod one and worth a try as the master cylinder is hard to bleed, once thats bled, the rest is easy usually.

• 2 years later...

Thank you guys,  to kick a dead horse.  the tap tap tap got all the air out of my clutch line after I bled out all the old crap.  wasn't paying attention when I was opening my DOT4 and it siphoned out the top tank and started sucking air down the line.  I heard it and went "Oh for f@&# sakes!" and dumped some more fluid in the resevoir but it was too late.  spongy and not there.  spent an hour going squeeze squeeze squeeze tap tap tap squeeze squeeze squeeze and it finally worked itself out.  

whew!

Archived