Question Regarding '86 & '87 Vfrs…..

Guest TylerDurden

Guest TylerDurden

I'm i the process of helping a widow liquidate her husband's estate, which includes numerous 2nd gen VFRs.

Curious what's so special about these years?

There are about 10 of them in varying degrees of completion and I'm trying to determine if they're worth investing

the time putting them back together and running or just selling them as-is. Probably don't have to buy any parts

as there are parts EVERYWHERE in the house and garage. So we're just talking about time & labor.

BTW, some of these have been sitting for a few years in the elements (rain/sun), but not too oxidized.

I'm guessing the tanks/carbs need to be flushed, but I have access to numerous NIB batteries.

There's also a tire changer in the garage and PLENTY of new & good used tires.

Like I said, we're talking about labor on-site.

I should also mention that they are a mixture of 700s & 750s. Mainly 1986-87.

After searching around these things can fetch anywhere between $1000 - $3000 running.

Is this a reasonable price range?

Grateful for any insight you folks have.

• Member Contributer

One thing that separates them from the earlier models is the fact that these were the first gear driven cam engines. Probably doesn't make them more valuable but does make them more desirable to own. Your prices seem to be in the range of realistic. A lot depends on the condition of the plastics, which are very hard to find, in good condition.

One thing that separates them from the earlier models is the fact that these were the first gear driven cam engines. Probably doesn't make them more valuable but does make them more desirable to own. Your prices seem to be in the range of realistic. A lot depends on the condition of the plastics, which are very hard to find, in good condition.

Thanks for that.

A few things I've read are that in '86 there were three models, 700F, 750F & 750F2. In '87 only the 700F was imported to the US. None were imported in '89 or '90.

So I guess this makes the 750F/F2 somewhat rare for that 4 year range. There are a few F2's and plastic as well, though some with minor cracks.

But hey, there's a couple of plastic welders lying around.

I'll assess the amount of time/labor as mention above and take it from there.

If anyone is in the SF Bay Area keep an eye open over on the Classified section. You'll probably start seeing some parts/bikes some up for sale real soon.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that.

A few things I've read are that in '86 there were three models, 700F, 750F & 750F2. In '87 only the 700F was imported to the US. None were imported in '89 or '90.

So I guess this makes the 750F/F2 somewhat rare for that 4 year range. There are a few F2's and plastic as well, though some with minor cracks.

If anyone is in the SF Bay Area keep an eye open over on the Classified section. You'll probably start seeing some parts/bikes some up for sale real soon.

If my memory serves me correctly, there were only two models for the USA in 1986: the VFR750F and the tariff-beater VFR700FII, which was available in pearl white or HRC red, white, and blue. In 1987, the VFR750F was dropped, but the VFR700FII was available in a very similar white (with slightly darker blue seat) and a midnight blue. We did not see the standard VFR in 1988 nor in 1989, but we did get the VFR750R (RC30) in 1989 in very limited numbers. It did return to us in 1990 as a VFR750F in red with white wheels. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that.

If my memory serves me correctly, there were only two models for the USA in 1986: the VFR750F and the tariff-beater VFR700FII, which was available in pearl white or HRC red, white, and blue. In 1987, the VFR750F was dropped, but the VFR700FII was available in a very similar white (with slightly darker blue seat) and a midnight blue. We did not see the standard VFR in 1988 nor in 1989, but we did get the VFR750R (RC30) in 1989 in very limited numbers. It did return to us in 1990 as a VFR750F in red with white wheels. Hope this helps.

Not sure if they are US or Canadian, but there are a couple of 1986 700Fs in the collection. Standard RWB color scheme.

I'll have to look at the gauges to see if kilometers are the primary scale.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that.

Not sure if they are US or Canadian, but there are a couple of 1986 700Fs in the collection. Standard RWB color scheme.

I'll have to look at the gauges to see if kilometers are the primary scale.

Looks like I made a mistake. The 1986 RWB 700cc tariff-beater was the VFR700F with round instruments. The later released pearl white version was the FII with square instruments.

I own a '86 Pearl White with round instruments, built for the Canadian market, grey imported in the Netherlands. And i have seen Pearl White withe '86 vfr's with square instruments.

http://www.vfroc.nl/index.php/2013-01-31-08-41-48/forumactiviteiten/foto-s-2007/13-20070414almere/detail/157-img-2044#

On the picture you sea me next to a 86 750 VFR with square instruments.

• Member Contributer

I own a '86 Pearl White with round instruments, built for the Canadian market, grey imported in the Netherlands. And i have seen Pearl White withe '86 vfr's with square instruments.

http://www.vfroc.nl/index.php/2013-01-31-08-41-48/forumactiviteiten/foto-s-2007/13-20070414almere/detail/157-img-2044#

On the picture you sea me next to a 86 750 VFR with square instruments.

In the USA, the 1986 VFR750 was red, white and blue only.

Red white and blue were Honda's racing colors. In those day's they were seriously racing with the 750, so it is possible they put the more powerfull 750 in the market with racing colors only to emphasize the difference's between the 750 and the 700. The 750 being more exclusive in the USA.

In Europe they only delivered the 750. And that was not a wrong decision, considering speeds on the road were a lot higher than in the USA.

I legally ran flat out on the autobahn several times. :wheel:

• Member Contributer

Red white and blue were Honda's racing colors. In those day's they were seriously racing with the 750, so it is possible they put the more powerfull 750 in the market with racing colors only to emphasize the difference's between the 750 and the 700. The 750 being more exclusive in the USA.

In Europe they only delivered the 750. And that was not a wrong decision, considering speeds on the road were a lot higher than in the USA.

Not exactly. The RWB was available on both the 1986 VFR750F and the 1986 VFR700F. The 700 was offered only because there was a much higher tariff on Japanese 750cc+ bikes, because Harley-Davidson pissed and moaned to the federal government about lost sales.

• Member Contributer

Not exactly. The RWB was available on both the 1986 VFR750F and the 1986 VFR700F. The 700 was offered only because there was a much higher tariff on Japanese 750cc+ bikes, because Harley-Davidson pissed and moaned to the federal government about lost sales.

True Dat. I purchased my RW&B VFR700 new in '86 for $4200 cash but did not have enough dough to get the 750 as I was just a kid. Regret it still and curse those whining Harley babies always !

Was'nt that in the Buy American quality era. Here Harley's are especially known for losing parts when they run. Four Years back i was passed by a mechanic doing a testrun on a Harley, losing a part indeed. :goofy:

My info about color scheme's comes from a website based in the USA, shame about incorrect info.

• Member Contributer

Was'nt that in the Buy American quality era. Here Harley's are especially known for losing parts when they run. Four Years back i was passed by a mechanic doing a testrun on a Harley, losing a part indeed. :goofy:

My info about color scheme's comes from a website based in the USA, shame about incorrect info.

AMF owned the company throughout the 70's and produced piss poor quality bikes and tried to sell them at obscenely high prices. Sales bottomed and the company nearly went bankrupt at some point. AMF sold HD around 80 or 81 and the new owners were able to get the 45% tariff pushed through in that infamous year of 1983. Booooo!

AMF made italian quality.

In the Netherland they call Ducati a stukgaatie.

Stukgaatie means: it will break down in english. Most Italian bikes in that era had great technical problems, because most of the Italian motorcycle companies were taken over by the government, because they wanted to prevent loss of jobs. But the bookkepers from the government cut the budgets that much, the factory's could'nt produce quality motorcycle's, able to compete with Japanese products. In the ninety's Moto Guzzi produced motorcycle's with machinery dating back to the fifty's. These machines were so worn, producing really good bike;'s was a challenge. And there was no budged for developing new models. So even the engines they used were developed in the fifty and sixty's. Only the last 10 years gave a great improvement, most Italian motorcycle company's were sold to rich foreign company's and even Fiat the leading Italian car factory. With enough money they stsrted to innovate en develope many great new models.

Now a day's Ducati is owned by Audi. Audi only wants to produce quality products, so the nickname stukgaatie will disappear i think.

AMF made italian quality.

In the Netherland they call Ducati a stukgaatie.

Stukgaatie means: it will break down in english. Most Italian bikes in that era had great technical problems, because most of the Italian motorcycle companies were taken over by the government, because they wanted to prevent loss of jobs. But the bookkepers from the government cut the budgets that much, the factory's could'nt produce quality motorcycle's, able to compete with Japanese products. In the ninety's Moto Guzzi produced motorcycle's with machinery dating back to the fifty's. These machines were so worn, producing really good bike;'s was a challenge. And there was no budged for developing new models. So even the engines they used were developed in the fifty and sixty's. Only the last 10 years gave a great improvement, most Italian motorcycle company's were sold to rich foreign company's and even Fiat the leading Italian car factory. With enough money they stsrted to innovate en develope many great new models.

Now a day's Ducati is owned by Audi. Audi only wants to produce quality products, so the nickname stukgaatie will disappear i think.

This post is offically off topic now. ;>)

I was in Bologna a few weeks ago and got a tour of the Ducati factory/museum and it is insanely organized and tidy.

Had no idea it was owned by Audi, but it make perfect sense now that you mention it.

And just down the road where some of the hottest looking hookers I have ever seen!

Only in Italy would you see these gals struting around in thigh high Ferragamo boots.

• Member Contributer

This post is offically off topic now. ;>)

I was in Bologna a few weeks ago and got a tour of the Ducati factory/museum and it is insanely organized and tidy.

Had no idea it was owned by Audi, but it make perfect sense now that you mention it.

And just down the road where some of the hottest looking hookers I have ever seen!

Only in Italy would you see these gals struting around in thigh high Ferragamo boots.

I've been on the Ducati factory/museum tour a couple of times now. It was insanely organized and tidy then too, and this was well before Audi purchased them.

Don't remember seeing the hookers though, lol.

I was mistaken. Caviga once bought Aermacchi and so owned AMF Harley Davidson factory in Varese italia. Cagiva also bought Ducati. Under Cagiva, Ducati products were improved. In 1998 Caviga sold Ducati.

In 1998 Cagiva changed its name in MV Agusta. Harley bought MV Agusta in 2008, selling it again in 2010.

All these changes of ownership are confusing.

• Member Contributer

Maybe the Ducati museum was so wel organised during the period Harley owned Ducati.

Harley owned Ducati? Or are you referring to MV Agusta?

It's MV Agusta, but at one time that included Cagiva which bought Ducati in the mid 80's. It's a convoluted soap opera when you start looking at who owned who and when. :wacko:

Edit: Looks like Bert beat me to it by a few seconds. :)

Say, Please post pictures of this disassembled pile of VFR's eh ?

I don't have any photos to post, but if you could imagine a suburban backyard with 80 motocycles in various stages of dismantle, you'd get the picture.

Not to mention the garage and house are PACKED with boxes of parts. Basically 2nd & 3rd gen VFRs (I think there's one VF1000), '83 CB1100Fs, 92-93 CB900RRs, XR650/600/400 and KLR 650s.

The VFRs make up the majority. You looking for something in particular?

Archived