2001 5th Gen Lights and instruments dead

Jlewis50

I have a 2001 Honda VFR 800 that has a dead instrument cluster and all lights. This is a new issue and happened when I was checking the wiring and a accidentally grounded a hot lead. 
I thought it was just a fuse. All fuses are fine. 
The bike cranks right up but every light function is now dead. Head lights, turn signals and instruments totally dead.
I’m thinking a relay as it’s not a fuse. 

• Member Contributer
On 2/24/2021 at 9:35 AM, Jlewis50 said:

I have a 2001 Honda VFR 800 that has a dead instrument cluster and all lights. This is a new issue and happened when I was checking the wiring and a accidentally grounded a hot lead. 
I thought it was just a fuse. All fuses are fine. 
The bike cranks right up but every light function is now dead. Head lights, turn signals and instruments totally dead.
I’m thinking a relay as it’s not a fuse. 

For all those lights to be dead AND you don't have a blown fuse then you most likely have a Ground fault. There is no relay that controls all those lights! Only your two Headlight relays. The common link between all these lights is the Ground for them and Fuse G 10amp !

Go through measuring the grounds of your lights. Make sure you get zero ohms/continuity back to the negative terminal of the battery for every Ground you check.

Do you have the Service Manual? You can download it from the forum. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Archived