Gague cluster woes

revtmolo

• Member Contributer

Hey guys The battery on my 02 bought the farm this morning. It was from the prior owner so I am assuming it was pretty old. I got a new battery and hooked it up, but for some bizarre reason the gauge cluster appears to be dead. I pulled all of the fuses under the panel to the right of the gauge cluster and all looked good. I even went as far as going through and swapping them with a brand new fuse. Still no luck. With the sun going down, I realized the lights for the dash panel and the indicator lights are still working but the gauges (Temp, speedo, Odometer, fuel, etc...) are blank. The nuetral, FI and high beam indicator lights are fine as well.I got to the back of the panel and pulled the plug and ran some electrical cleaner on it, but it still has the same issue.

I'm wondering if I fried my cluster.... Any thoughts?

Thanks!

RT$L

• Member Contributer

According to the wiring diagram there are two 12v inputs which come from Fuse E 10amp. You need to check that you have 12v on both of the Brown/Blue wires at the instrument connector. The fact you have other indicators working means your instrument Ground is probably OK.

There will also be an non switched 12v supply for the Clock power on the Red/Green wire from Fuse A.

If the 12v supplies are ok, then you're most likely looking at an internal fault, would be worth having a good look inside the panel for broken tracks or bad solder joints or connections.

Any chance you attempted replacing the battery while the Ignition was On? Did you attempt a jumper start from another battery while the Ignition was On?

Do you have the Service Manual? You can download if from this site.

image.png

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Grum said:

According to the wiring diagram there are two 12v inputs which come from Fuse E 10amp. You need to check that you have 12v on both of the Brown/Blue wires at the instrument connector. The fact you have other indicators working means your instrument Ground is probably OK.

There will also be an non switched 12v supply for the Clock power on the Red/Green wire from Fuse A.

If the 12v supplies are ok, then you're most likely looking at an internal fault, would be worth having a good look inside the panel for broken tracks or bad solder joints or connections.

Any chance you attempted replacing the battery while the Ignition was On? Did you attempt a jumper start from another battery while the Ignition was On?

Do you have the Service Manual? You can download if from this site.

Thasnks Grum, your response is greatly appreciated.

I'll grab my multi meter tomorrow and see what I get.  The cluster still has the other wired connected and it's too dark to see out there so I'll grab that in the morning as well. 

Regarding the ignition being on...

I wen't out to the bike this morning and the battery was dead. I put a jump charger on it (Just a small one) and started it up. As soon as the jumper was pulled it died. the ignition wasn't on during that time, just when I turned the key to start it.  

• Member Contributer

Also my thanks for responding to a question on a 6th Gen in the 5th Gen forum. Sorry about that! I zigged when I was supposed to zag! I'll repost in the appropriate place. 

Archived