Best phone mount for VFR?

Montrealer2005

• Member Contributer

I use Ultimateaddons for my iPhone. The house is connected via a short RAM arm to an Ultimateaddons stem mount.

The phone does not interfere with viewing any instruments or with my tank bag. The only drawback is the key sits just in front and below - so key needs to be inserted by feel. You can argue the screen is not fully utilised with navigation when in landscape.

If used for navigation a USB outlet is needed.

DSC_4237.jpg

My IPhone is in an Otterbox case. I cut the clip off an old belt clip and added a ram ball to the back. I also use a stem mount. Mine is made by member Huntingunns and I can highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys for your inputs.

RC36B:  I like how the phone is centered on the stem, even if it covers the key.  I assumed some GPS apps also works in landscape orientation?

Sweeper:  Any links to Huntingunns’s product?

Recently, I came across a phone mount called Quad Lock.  Anyone has experiences with it?

https://www.quadlockcase.ca/collections/shop-moto/products/motorcycle-scooter-mount-kit-all-iphone-devices

By the way, the only reason I started this topic was because I was unable to find anything in the search.  If this question has been raised earlier on this forum, would appreciate directing me to it.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Montrealer2005 said:

Thanks guys for your inputs.

RC36B:  I like how the phone is centered on the stem, even if it covers the key.  I assumed some GPS apps also works in landscape orientation?

Sweeper:  Any links to Huntingunns’s product?

Recently, I came across a phone mount called Quad Lock.  Anyone has experiences with it?

https://www.quadlockcase.ca/collections/shop-moto/products/motorcycle-scooter-mount-kit-all-iphone-devices

By the way, the only reason I started this topic was because I was unable to find anything in the search.  If this question has been raised earlier on this forum, would appreciate directing me to it.

I forgot to mention I can control any button on my iPhone, use the finger Touch ID (well, I can't - I always ride with thich gloves) and use touch screen (that works with gloves).

I use the navigation app "Go" from TomTom - it turns automatically to landscape (I think they use the true track vector to determine "screen up"). If you look at my picture in the previous post it is turned in landscape). While I don't recommend entering addresses while riding 🙂, it's nice to be able to do simple things - and with gloves.

My main reason for the stem mount is the size of the phone - I felt uncomfortable with the phone and proximity of the fairing.

• Member Contributer

Here is a closeup of my USB outlet. This is the 4th gen - don't know what your bike is, so it might be useless information 🙂. This location is - as far as I have experienced - always dry. I used to use another location on the left hand side that sometimes did get wet while parked.

I have wired it to the clock fuse so that I can charge e.g. my SENA helmet com while away from any "shore power". The USB outlet has an on/off switch.

IMG_2746.JPG

RC36C:

I hadn’t thought about putting in a USB port, but that makes sense. From your pic, you put it on the kickstand side, correct?

My apology for not understanding, what did you mean that you can control any buttons on the phone?

What is that orange one to the left of your phone, what does it do?

I also have a large screen iPhone 8plus, so location will also be a problem for me on my 2002 6th gen.

• Member Contributer
21 minutes ago, Montrealer2005 said:

RC36C:

I hadn’t thought about putting in a USB port, but that makes sense. From your pic, you put it on the kickstand side, correct?

My apology for not understanding, what did you mean that you can control any buttons on the phone?

What is that orange one to the left of your phone, what does it do?

I also have a large screen iPhone 8plus, so location will also be a problem for me on my 2002 6th gen.

If you want to use the iPhone for navigation you absolutely need a USB outlet - it drains the phone in about 45 minutes! 😞.

The picture attached in my first post (showing the "office" of my VFR) is old and shows my first USB setup on the left side (kickstand side) just inside the fairing. The next picture shows my current setup with a new USB outlet mounted on the fusebox mount (which is on the right side on the VFR 750 - inside fairing just below dashboard). 

The case is fully enclosed (IP 65 or something) - all buttons on the iPhone are available via the green buttons on the case. I have attached a picture with the case open.

The box with the round orange button is the control for my heated grips

IMG_8493.JPG

Archived