6th Gen tail lights... Is this right or have I don’t something wrong?!

Hi All,

My first post, but you’ve all been very helpful beforehand with past post etc.

However, I have just changed both rear tail lights on my 6th gen. Both come in with ignition, but when I apply the brakes the top one goes out and the lower one gets brighter. 

I assumed that both would stay on and get brighter?

Can you have a look at the attached video and let me know;

1. Is that right?

2. If not, how do I rectify? 

Many Thanks! 

3918E838-9200-4CE4-8861-4DEB0DC0B69B.MOV

• Member Contributer

That's definitely not correct. Both upper and lower bulb should go to max brightness as they are both dual filament. 

I'm pretty sure that only one filament within the bulb is active at a time, so it's quite possible that you pulled the wire on the top socket for the brighter filament.

if you have a multimeter, i would suggest checking the continuity of the contacts in the socket.

Or. you have a bad bulb

I've attached a video of it working properly

VID_20180411_205256178.mp4

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, DanFrancisco said:

Hi All,

My first post, but you’ve all been very helpful beforehand with past post etc.

However, I have just changed both rear tail lights on my 6th gen. Both come in with ignition, but when I apply the brakes the top one goes out and the lower one gets brighter. 

I assumed that both would stay on and get brighter?

Can you have a look at the attached video and let me know;

1. Is that right?

2. If not, how do I rectify? 

Many Thanks! 

3918E838-9200-4CE4-8861-4DEB0DC0B69B.MOV

Hi Dan.

Had troubles trying to view your video so just to get this right. The tail/brake lights comprise of 2 globes each with 2 filaments a 21 watt and 5 watt filament in each globe.

The two 21w filaments are your Brake lights, and the two 5w filaments are the Tail Lights which are ON whenever your Ignition is ON. So whenever you apply your Brakes all 4 filaments should be ON.

1. Make sure you have used the correct 12v 21w/5w Globes.

2. Make sure BOTH ground wires (Green wire) for both globes are properly grounded, use a multimeter on Ohms or continuity mode.

3. Ensure you have 12v on both globes on the Green/Yellow wires when the Brake is applied.

4. Tail lights are the Brown/Blue wires 12v should be on these whenever Ignition is ON.

Note - wire colour codes are for my Australian model 6gen. assume yours should be the same!!!!!

Good Luck.

Cheers.

Archived