• Member Contributer

Hello all - I've done the standard 'search my brains out' attempt to find info, but have come up with only one thread.

I am working on a build/rebuild of my friend Hammerdrill's [That is his vfrd user name, not his actual name] 2002 6 gen, and he's putting together a very nice color package. He'd like the radiators to be black to complement the black powdercoating of various components [See attached photo as an example]. I know the 2007 RWB models came with black radiators, but we have not been able to locate any used black radiators for sale.

Eastwood makes a well-reviewed radiator paint, but evidently our great golden state [CA] doesn't allow it to be sold here. I can find it online from Amazon, Eastwood themselves, Pep Boys, and other online vendors, but when I attempt to put it in my cart and buy it, it comes up "NOT AVAILABLE" from every vendor.

I found a thread here about painting radiators where Badbilly added some valuable insight but, the OP ended up not painting his radiators.

*My preference would be to anodize them.  A local shop said they would anodize both radiators from the 2002 in black for $85, but there must be absolutely no metal except aluminum in the radiator assembly.

Question 1 - does anyone know if a stripped down 6 gen VFR radiator is made up of anything except aluminum?

Question 2 - I've seen a couple guys on vfrw mask and paint their frames without stripping them down [See attached photo]. Can anyone [Badbilly?] recommend an optimum prep/prime/paint process for the VFR's frame? I believe it is anodized clear.

Thanks for any assistance.

VFR black radiators.JPG

• Member Contributer

Hi Seb - thanks for getting back to me.

I'm looking to paint or anodize the radiators and frame on my friend's 2002 6gen in satin black.

I have already removed the rear brake torque rod and caliper bracket, swingarm, two heat shields, footpegs, cush bracket, and drive hub. I took those parts to a local powdercoater [Primo Powdercoating and Sandblasting in Huntington Beach CA - Dan is great to work with and does excellent work], and had him powder coat the removed components in a finish he calls black microtex. It's basically a rough satin finish.

My objective is to paint the visible parts of the frame without stripping the bike down to the bare frame. I currently have the bodywork, radiators, and tank removed.

I also aim to have the radiators colored black. I found a local metal finisher who will anodize the radiators black for $85. This seems like the way to go, unless you warn me away from anodizing the radiators.

Side note - I am digging the exhaust bracket you made for my 2001 5 gen. I am going to have the pipe polished to smooth out a scratch or seven, and will have your bracket polished at the same time.

IMG_0704.JPG

Archived