Are All RC36 Horn Circuit Wiring Diagrams Wrong?

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

As part of my RC36 modathon I'm basically re-doing the bike's wiring harness, so I've been spending a lot of quality time with the wiring diagram.  Since I've hacked my bike's harness a few times already I bought an unmolested version on eBay and have been working with that one, and comparing it to the modified wiring diagram I made to account for all of the changes I've done (and wish to keep).  But, I discovered that neither my new wiring harness nor the old one corresponded with either the Haynes wiring diagram or the Honda one:

VFR750FP Horn Wiring Diagram Anomaly.jpg

This picture is from a colourised version of the Honda wiring diagram for the 4th gen (I think), but the relevant wiring is the same.  The LHS switch pod on my FP (possibly not the original one--but I don't think I changed it) has a 9P connector and a 2P connector, the latter of which contains a black wire and a light green wire.  I definitely have changed the wiring on the other side of the connector, as I've had non-OEM horns fitted for years, but AFAIR the OEM horn was never connected directly to the switch pod side of the 2P connector.  It's not a big deal, as I'm changing the wiring harness anyway, but I was initially puzzled and now I'm wondering if I've found another Honda wiring diagram anomaly (the first one was an error in the ST1300's headlight circuit where they swapped the white and blue wires (for hi and lo beams) in the diagram).

Ciao,

1 answer to this question

If one has ever used the rail and metro systems in Japan one could imagine the humungous disaster a small anomaly like that wiring diagram glitch could cause... strange to find this and other errors in the workshop manuals I too have come across, being as the Japanese are so OCD.

Archived