Weird engine noise at idle

fultobt

• Member Contributer

Yep reckon there would be 100's of us on this forum that have heard that before. CCT's Cam Chain Tensioner. One for the front cyclinders and one for the rear.

Try to establish wether its the front or rear cyclinders it's coming from. The rear one is a fair bit easier to replace than the front. Have a look through the forum and there is heaps of info on this topic.

It's not uncommon after 15,000miles to start having CCT issues.

Cheers.

Grum

12 hours ago, Grum said:

Yep reckon there would be 100's of us on this forum that have heard that before. CCT's Cam Chain Tensioner. One for the front cyclinders and one for the rear.

Try to establish wether its the front or rear cyclinders it's coming from. The rear one is a fair bit easier to replace than the front. Have a look through the forum and there is heaps of info on this topic.

It's not uncommon after 15,000miles to start having CCT issues.

Cheers.

Grum

Will look into, thanks!

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, vegaquark said:

Has anyone done that? I've read someone who changed de rear subframe from a 6th to a 5th but not what you said at all...
I would like abs on a 5th gen.

I know of two guys in the UK who have done this, and I am in the process of doing this to my '02:

There are probably a few owners stateside who have done the same - they generally seem to lead the way with such mods. Retaining the ABS should be fairly straightforward.

• Member Contributer

In China, we vfrchina club riders also a headache for this problem, recently many cyclists, try to change the timing chain, did not solve the problem, very hope to get the detailed solution, thank you, if is the tensioner problem, how to repair, replace or there are other ways?

• Member Contributer
On 6 January 2017 at 9:24 PM, jackleftzuo said:

In China, we vfrchina club riders also a headache for this problem, recently many cyclists, try to change the timing chain, did not solve the problem, very hope to get the detailed solution, thank you, if is the tensioner problem, how to repair, replace or there are other ways?

It's a common problem with the CCT's, the spring tension appears to drop off with age, and with slight added chain stretch, generally around the 40 to 50,000K's chain chatter can be the result. There is a fine line between the CCT applying just enough chain tension to avoid chatter and over tensioning the chain. Others claim the CCT itself can become noisey, the two experiences I've had it was purely chain chatter located in the upper cylinder head area, away from the CCT.  Best fix is just to replace the CCT with a new item..

Archived