quickshifter

RC79Scott

I've read some of the threads on these, and apologize if this has been asked.

How is the quickshifter in lower gears and not at WOT?  I test rode an R1200R last year and was thoroughly unimpressed.  Umm, that is, I was unimpressed with upshifting in lower gears such as 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.  The BMW one, at least last year, had to be shifted at granny RPMs to even work right on the low gears--utter disappointment.  I'm saying you had to shift to 2nd before you were even doing 10 MPH or the thing would lurch...not kidding.  The downshifting was awesome (but, alas, the VFR one does not go there).

Sure, I'd like to go WOT with it on some highway ramps...or elsewhere (lol), but I'd like to just click up to 4th in the city without much work and without getting to 3rd gear at 20 MPH.  The VFR is a lot of things, but in certain urban environments the gear ratios will definitely wear you out...

I have the quick-shifter on the 800X, which is the same one for the 800F.

You need to be over 1500 revs per the instructions, but I usually change when over 3000, the more the better.

You definitely do not have to operate it at WOT, but it works exceptionally well when you do. I would have been great for down shifting too, but can't have it all :)

It doesn't seem to be happy with very little throttle, but you don't have to be pinned for it to work smoothly. Well enough to work through the first 3-4 gears (up to 60 km/h) in the city for example.

Hope this helps :)

1 minute ago, inztigator said:

I have the quick-shifter on the 800X, which is the same one for the 800F.

You need to be over 1500 revs per the instructions, but I usually change when over 3000, the more the better.

You definitely do not have to operate it at WOT, but it works exceptionally well when you do. I would have been great for down shifting too, but can't have it all :)

It doesn't seem to be happy with very little throttle, but you don't have to be pinned for it to work smoothly. Well enough to work through the first 3-4 gears (up to 60 km/h) in the city for example.

Hope this helps :)

Hey thanks, do you have any experience with the BMW one to compare?

• Member Contributer

Never used it at WOT as generally don't RATS, works fine at POT as long as above 1500 rpm and accelerating.  CT doesn't make any difference compared to clutchless shifts. 

Prefer to bmw shift as Honda gearboxes are slicker 

8 hours ago, fink said:

Never used it at WOT as generally don't RATS, works fine at POT as long as above 1500 rpm and accelerating.  CT doesn't make any difference compared to clutchless shifts. 

Prefer to bmw shift as Honda gearboxes are slicker 

Have a feeling I'm going to be saying, duh, here soon but...what are RATS and CT?

• Member Contributer

I'm presuming WOT. Is wide open throttle which is the same at  RATS  riding at the throttle stop ,  CT.  constant throttle.  POT. Partial open throttle. 

Archived