suspension modification

RADU

Question

Hello,

I have a 2002 VTEC VFR model and for quite a while now, i am not very satisfied with its stock suspensions. Although i have adjusted the rear suspension to make it more hard, i still have the feeling the moto feels "like a boat" if you know what i mean. The suspensions (both front and back) leave the impression that may be very soft. The feeling gets even more real when i load the motorcycle with luggages and passanger. A mechanic adviced me to install progressive springs on both front and rear suspension.

My questions:

1-would progressive springs make a difference; will the suspensions get more stiff and ferm?

2-if yes, what brand to choose?

3-are there available progressive springs for rear shock as well, because i haven't seen any ?

4-my model does not have an adjustment knob for rear shock absorber (soft-hard). Is it possible to mount one of these on it, or should i get a totally new shock absorber which has this feature (very expensive)? If yes, what brand/model suggestions do you have?

My purpose is to ride the motorcycle in a sport touring fashion; touring with some confort, but also in certain situations (like accelerating, braking, entering curves), i want to feel the suspensions a bit more sport, stiffer, with less "boat" effect.

Thanks

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Member Contributer

Not a fan of progressive springs, and no sport bike woud use them.

Getting damping right is hard enough without throwing a progressive spring on it.

What do you set the damping to? the hard or soft part of the spring?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, VFROZ said:

Not a fan of progressive springs, and no sport bike woud use them.

Getting damping right is hard enough without throwing a progressive spring on it.

What do you set the damping to? the hard or soft part of the spring?

Most springs marketed as progressive should really be called dual rate. They behave like a stack of 2 linear rate springs of different rates i. e. they indeed have a hard and a soft part.

True progressive springs such as Hyperpro have a continuously rising rate (the spacing of the coils is subject to a continuous increase).

Note that Hyperpro themselves also sell linear rate fork springs which they recommend for track use.

Archived