Plug And Play Lowbeam Upgrade

I am interested in a plug and play change for my VFR. I have Sylvania Silverstars on my FJR and was considering changing either to an led bulb or another sylvania on my low beam simply for a bit more recognition from other motorist with the whiter light it provides. Is there a fairly priced plug and play led bulb that works well or should I just install a sylvania? Also, how difficult or is it even possible to reach up and simply change this lowbeam bulb out without fairing removal etc. and much verbal expression? It appears tight in there. The sylvanias are a better bulb than the stock one on my FJR visibilty wise, but you give up some lifespan on the bulb itself. I thought I could correct that problem with an led if it would perform as well because of their superior lifespan. My only experience with a led is the ones my buddy installed on a goldwing and he wasn't pleased with their range. 

i have the Sylvania Ultras in mine.....the high beam burned out after 6 months (i use it in the daytime for max visibility )....not sure if it's a fluke of if that's going to be the norm....i doubt it, hope not !!!

NOW MY LOW BEAM BURNED OUT TODAY....IT WAS NO FLUKE.....7 MONTHS,...10,000 MILES OUT OF A $25 BULB....I'LL BE SHOPPING AROUND FOR THE NEXT ONE....NO MORE SYLVANIA ULTRAS FOR ME

it's tricky, patience my friend.....you have to work by feel....reach in and feel how the clip is orientated before you remove the bulb....see and feel how the bulb lines up...it was a lot easier when the forks were out for upgrade....lol...not looking forward to doing it tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...

i bought a Phillips Motovision bulb to replace the low beam....they're made for motorcycles so they'll handle the vibration better,if that was what killed the Sylvanias......i'm getting good at changing them...lol

• 6 months later...

I put PIAA 4000K Unlta Whites in mine. Great bulbs, but I know they won't last as long as a less expensive, lower quality one. 

The actual installation wasn't too hard. A little bit of working blind but not too much. I had to replace a headlight bulb on my Mercedes. Jack it up, remove the front wheel, remove the fender liner and there it is ..... what a pain.

Archived