Is this worth filing a claim?

14 hours ago, auggius said:

Sorry about your bike but glad your wife is okay.

But isn't this a tale of why insurance is expensive? Shouldn't the $$$ amount be to replace what was damaged? It's great your bike will be like new again but to get extra for new frakles seems wrong. I guess that's just the way the insurance game is played.

Covering parts is actually only a portion of what insurance is about.

Last winter I got rear-ended in my 15 year old car. There were some scratches, but the bumper was already peeling before the incident. My mechanic found no structural damage. The insurance company for the person who hit me sent the claims adjuster, even though I told them I did not want anything. I actually generated great frustration with them in politely telling them not to bother me! However, they inspected the car and sent a check for $1100 to replace the bumper cover and paint it. I truly (if you can believe it) did not want this money, but the insurance company wanted to establish a contract with me. As soon as I cash the check, then I forego any ability to collect additional damages. Thus, settlements are really more about mitigating financial and legal risk.

Like you I feel that this was a waste and only increases all of our costs, but it is the system we live with. 

A cash system would be superior to all of the waste and profit that goes into an insurance company. Alas, insurance seems to be the best method that our society could come up with to distribute the costs of unexpected events. 

On 6/23/2016 at 2:28 PM, crakerjac said:

I'm fixing the bike myself and 'paying' myself with the labor time.  Doing this, I will have enough left over for a few farkles.  I'm on the fence about the frame sliders.  If I have the bags on the bike and I go down... they are kind of moot.

Not all frame sliders are alike.  T-Rex designed some of the best I've seen.  Multiple points of attachment to the frame, and the "puck" is large and mounted on a sub-carrier, which ensures that the puck is much likely to slide than to break/bend the frame.  True, the frame slider won't save the entire bike from damage, but repairing/replacing just one piece of fairing is more expensive than replacing the puck.

Archived