Is this worth filing a claim?

So I need some advice. I've never filed a claim on a MC before and I'm a little apprehensive about filing one now. 

After softball practice today I let my wife ride the VFR home from softball practice and I followed her in the car with the kiddo. She stalled it at a light, fired it back up and in an attempt to accelerate quickly (since traffic was piling up behind her) she wacked the throttle (actually heard it bounce off the Rev limiter) and popped the clutch. I watch as my bike (and wife) somersault into the intersection. 

She hung on and the bike landed on the passenger peg then slammed into the pavement on the right side. 

She is fine. She was wearing my gear, so other than a sore ankle and leg, not a scratch on her.... Thank God (or whatever diety people pray to these days). 

However, now I have to figure out what to do with what was a mint bike. 

IMG_20160606_202459.jpg

IMG_20160606_202506.jpg

IMG_20160606_202454.jpg

IMG_20160606_202447.jpg

IMG_20160606_202441.jpg

IMG_20160606_202435.jpg

The used fairings on ebay are ridiculously priced or scuffed up as bad as what you have there. I wouldn't file a claim though. Depending on your deductible, you'd be risking a higher premium next year and still be paying for most of the repairs.

• Member Contributer

Read the policy that came with your insurance to see if they would cover this (in NL the bike is insured, not me) and what this means in terms of deductable, loss of no-claim discount.

If your policy states you MUST declare damage, do so. because if you have a proper claim they may say "denied for you lied previously".

Insurance companies are not your friend (nor is any company); they want to maximise profit.

And oh yeah, divorce your wiife, the judge will fully understand... :goofy:(kidding...)

It's covered.  I have a $500 deductible.  I went on Ron Ayers last night and to replace all the rashed parts, I'm looking at about $1200 plus whatever they give for the DAM exhaust and labor.  I could probably just not get a new exhaust and break even with the deductible.  But again, I don't know how that will affect my rates for next year.

It just frustrating because I bought this bike new and it was still mint. Other than my dad taking it down the block and back, this is the FIRST time anybody else has ridden it.

The wife offered to pay to fix it... but guess where that money comes from...

This will be covered under your collision clause, so check your insurance fine print.  If you have $500 deductible on C&C, then it is worth filing a claim.  Parts and labor adds up faster than you might think.  You can also consider getting a settlement check from your insurance for the claim, then shop around for parts and do the repairs yourself.  I've done that before.

As for the claim affecting your premium in coming yrs... more than likely not for a case like this.  Most of them have a limit, under which they don't mark against your risk factor.  If you were to hit another motorist, found at fault, and incur substantial payout from your insurance co, then yeah, you'll get dinged.

You bought insurance to cover stuff like this.  Might as well use it.  And if your find out your insurance co hikes your rate because of a minor accident like this, then perhaps it's time to shop elsewhere next year.

34 minutes ago, crakerjac said:

It just frustrating because I bought this bike new and it was still mint. Other than my dad taking it down the block and back, this is the FIRST time anybody else has ridden it.

I suggest that you take some time to reconsider the rashing of this bike in the grand scheme of things.

There are incidents of people on sport bikes in similar situations, where the rider careens across the intersection, right through the gas station picture window to a sudden death. How about incidents where the bike flips right on top of the rider? Such an incident could have easily happened to your wife. I know it is not my bike and not my cost, and we all love to keep our vehicles looking awesome, but since you posted your story, the above is something that I have been unable to shake from my mind, that is, the story that didn't happen. 

Again, I know it is far too easy for me to say this from afar, but right now I would be laughing, and I would make a point to bring the wife into the laughter as well. 

@Knight I completely agree.  My first concern was that the wife was okay.  Shit happens, I know. I just needed to wine a little bit to SOMEBODY because she feels bad enough the way it is.  In the grand scheme of things, it's only a motorcycle.  I just had to hold my breath and stomp my feet a little bit...

I'd claim it if I were you! $1200 for parts plus all your precious hours to replace everything. Time is money and all.  If insurance is paying, I'd be dropping it at the dealership so they can do the work and also check to make sure forks etc. are still aligned correctly.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, marriedman said:

The used fairings on ebay are ridiculously priced or scuffed up as bad as what you have there. I wouldn't file a claim though. Depending on your deductible, you'd be risking a higher premium next year and still be paying for most of the repairs.

Not always.

I had to replace my fairing and engine cover after a stationary drop on the right side. I bought a fairing (same one OP needs to replace except blue) off ebay for $120.  it was nearly mint condition. The I bought the engine cover new.

OP, if you end up needing new parts check Service Honda also for prices.  They are good to work with and have good pricing and you'll probably get your parts faster.

• Member Contributer

Even if you install the parts yourself the insurance carrier should include associated labor costs as part of the overall settlement.  They should also cover the cost of damaged gear regardless of how minor the damage is.  I vote to let the insurance take care of it since that is what it is for.

One alternative you might consider is to have your bike repainted in your favorite color (assuming it is something other than Candy Prominence Red :-).  That one mid fairing alone is some $350 IIRC.  You could probably get the bike repainted for not much more than that, especially if you are willing to put in some elbow grease prepping the panels before you take them to the job shop.  Great thing about the VFR1200 is that there are only 6 panels painted body color.  I've got a carbon fiber front fender, so that cuts it down to 5 pcs.

I myself am about ready to change color.  Switching to a '12 or '13 accomplishes this too, but shootin' paint is a lot cheaper.

Just thought I'd mention it...

There are several causes  for concern. Is your wife a listed driver? does she have a motorcycle endorsement? Was a police report filed? One can understand your reluctance. Any beer at the Ballgame? You better fix it yourself and be thankful she wasn't seriously hurt.

Since your wife is okay, everything is fine + now you know she's pretty strong to hold on, and drop the clutch at the redline.  

I dropped my bike on the right side going less than 2 mph but still scratched the cover.  I bought right and left cover guards from Twisted Throttle.  Although there were no scratches like yours, I decided I really didn't like the blue so I plastiidipped it gray and black.  Might be time for you to experiment with a different color combination before buying new stuff.  

P.S.  Your wife is welcome to ride my bike anytime.

First of all, don't let the wife ride the bike anymore. Apparently its a bit much for her to handle......lol.....seriously......J/K Anyway I would personally look to repair myself vs. insurance claim. You have a $500 deductible and its $1200 damage. You are netting $700 in that case and my guess is your rate increase over the next 2 years will eat that up. Just start hunting piece by piece to put your baby back together. If it still rides then I would for sure go that route. Anyway your call but you asked for opinions and that is mine. Good luck and glad the wifey is okay..........

Claim is filed and insurance cut me a check for about $2800.  I got boned on the shop rate ($70/hr) and tax rate (state minimum), but I should be able to fix everything myself and have enough left over for a few farkles and new tires.

Settlement amount sounds about right.  Do make sure you document your repairs thoroughly, so there will not be any dispute about "prior damage" in the unlikely event you have to file another claim later down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fixing the bike myself and 'paying' myself with the labor time.  Doing this, I will have enough left over for a few farkles.  I'm on the fence about the frame sliders.  If I have the bags on the bike and I go down... they are kind of moot.

I would disagree about the bags and the frame sliders. I have T-Rex frame sliders and they saved my fairings from a tip over and left me with only some scratches on my mirror. Also they would be on if you did not have bags on and the bike went down. I can send you some pic's of my bike so you can see them if you like. I got the full package from T-Rex and really like the way they look and function. But I do understand not wanting them the lines are just cleaner with out them.

• Member Contributer
On June 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM, crakerjac said:

Claim is filed and insurance cut me a check for about $2800.  I got boned on the shop rate ($70/hr) and tax rate (state minimum), but I should be able to fix everything myself and have enough left over for a few farkles and new tires.

Sorry about your bike but glad your wife is okay.

But isn't this a tale of why insurance is expensive? Shouldn't the $$$ amount be to replace what was damaged? It's great your bike will be like new again but to get extra for new frakles seems wrong. I guess that's just the way the insurance game is played.

Not exactly.  I can either pay a shop the rate of $70 an hour to fix the bike or I can pay myself to fix it  If I fix it myself, it may take longer, but it's going to be done right.  The insurance company only cares (in the event of another accident) that the bike was fixed... not necessarily by whom.

On top of that, the insurance company was only going to pay to have the parts re-painted.  Some of 'shop labor' is going to do into replacement parts instead of bondo and paint.

Archived