Front End Noise

Shawn855

I'm getting a minor noise in the front end of my 2000 Vfr800. Two noises actually. One is caused from my brakes rubbing. Which under my understanding is normal for brake pads to always be touching the rotor on a motorcycle, but you can hear it rubbing. What do you's suggest? The pads still have a lot of meat left so I'm wondering it maybe it's because I parked my bike for the past 6 months due to our crazy winters (Canada) and that if I drive it for a bit while holding the brakes down, it will wear away whatever surface is causing the noise.

The other noise I suspect is my wheel bearing but I'll ask here in case I'm wrong. It sounds almost like a subtle "driving over gravel" noise. You can hear it more when going higher speeds, then I'll just engage the clutch to make sure it's not coming from the engine.

Thanks ahead of time everyone :)

• Member Contributer

Check to see if there is any lateral side to side play in the wheel. If there is, it's the bearing....which also may be causing the brakes to rub. If the bearing is good, pull the calipers and push the pad inward to see if the pistons aren't stuck. Then do a brake fluid change.

• Member Contributer

My personal ritual for inspecting a sealed ball bearing is to remove it from its shaft (or in this case axle) and use my index finger to slowly turn it, feeling for any minor imperfections or roughness that might not otherwise be apparent. If not silky smooth, it should be replaced.

Archived