Mirror Base Buy For Gsxr Signal Mirrors For 6Th Gens

WGREGT

I'm in the final (and I do mean FINAL) stages of coordinating a group buy to have new mirror bases designed and made that will allow 6th gen owners to use GSXR mirrors (which incorporate their own turn signals) on our 6th gen VFRs.

Thus far, I've been involved with this over a year now. More like 18 months. This is the very last time I will be involved.

Right now, I have a design that mimics the first round of these that were made (and sold) by a list member here many years ago. They were very popular, but sadly there was only 1 round of them made. I got the CAD file from him, had some changes made due to some issues some owners had with them originally, and I think the new design, though similar, is much improved.

They are made from T6061 AL, and anodized in black. You would need to buy/source your own GSXR OEM mirrors (don't buy the cheaper Emgo versions.) You'd then need to separate the mirror from the Suzuki base (takes seconds with a drill press) and then KEEP all the included washers, as you will use them all again.

Included below are a few fotos of the first round of these used on a 6th gen. From an external view, the new design looks very similar to there. Changes we've made include a new design on how the inner bolt is tightened to hold the mirror to the base, and he fact that the base is now open on the bottom to allow access to the nut. You cannot see this when the base and mirror are mounted to the bike.

Also, the base pad where the GSXR mirror contacts the base has been redesigned to mimic the OEM base, which had small "bumps" which interlock with corresponding bumps on the GSXR mirror. This effectively "locks" the mirror into position to prevent/lessen vibration/blurriness in the mirrors when riding.

Cost? Glad you asked. If we JUST got the mounts alone, anodized, and I pick them up, with lovely CA state tax they came to $126.44 for a set of two. Let's call it $130 USD even to make it easy. This quote was for 24 mounts made, which we no longer have, as some folks have dropped out.

At that time, I would still need to buy the two bolts (one per mount) and pay to have them drilled, which allows you to pass the signal wires thru them.

I'm guessing that all of you would NOT want to source the bolts and drill them yourself, am I right? If I was buying these I'd prefer a full set in the mail. Our bolt quantity was too small to order a full box (only 24 needed).

Last time I checked the bolts were $5 for two, and $15 or so to have them drilled clean thru.

So, once I had the bases in hand, I'd hit each of you back up for $20 (USD) and shipping, which would vary, depending on where in the world you were.

Right now I am at 8 sets, and my original quote was for 12. So I'm writing this last post on the subject to drum up more interested parties. If we stay at 8, I'd expect our costs to go up from that $130 USD quote. Which means others may drop out. Which drives up the price for everyone still in. You know how this goes...

So, if you are interested, now's the time. I plan on taking our final quantity to the person doing the manufacturing of these shortly and getting them started. My hope is that we'd have more riders interested than we do now.

I'll post up one last time before I close this out. Stay tuned.

(Here's the long original post in case you wanna read thru it. The highlight are included here though.)

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/31665-gsxr-mirrors-on-6th-gen/

post-8118-0-20594200-1459114162.jpg

post-8118-0-16788100-1459114169.jpg

post-8118-0-54478400-1459114180.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hi

Any further progress with the adaptor blocks?

Phil

Decision time:

I just got the pricing for 16 pieces. It's $1450 USD. That's $181.25 per person for the 8 of us. This includes CA taxes, I presume, since I asked for them to be included in the price.

Again, keep in mind we'd add the drilled bolts (around $20 USD?) and the shipping to wherever you are. I'm thinking/guessing the shipping to US destinations wouldn't be much at all. Small pieces, small weight, small price.

Of course if anyone drops out, the price goes up for the rest of us, and there is the possibility we'd get the "not interested" back from the folks making them as it gets to a point for them that it's not worth it for a small quantity. It's not worth trying up the machine time and the operator time when they can put that time to better use for bigger orders.

I'd have a piece for approval after 7 days, and delivery of all 16 pieces in (yikes!) 90 days. I'd post fotos/thoughts on the prototype when I got it for those buyers to weigh in.

Again, this is the very last time I'm in charge of this project.

SO...if you've been thinking about these, now is the time to act.

• Member Contributer

Ok

Count me in and I have a shipping address in Portland OR so costs should be domestic.

So we are saying that around $200 USD is the all up, plus freight.

And these are anodized black?

Cheers

Phil

• 1 month later...

Thanks for a really interesting thread..   I've enjoyed reading all the posts in the build up thread and just had a minor idea that 'may' have been overlooked...

Everyone already has a mount...  It's attached to their Honda mirrors.   

Maybe what is required is a stem.....

After all, you buy the mirror with the indicator (gsxr / zx / cbr) & just need to mount it...

sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Archived