83 Interceptor Front Cam Install Timing Question

nicksorg

After replacing the front head gasket, I'm preparing to install the front cams. I have a copy of the Honda shop manual and for the front cams, lists a process to add marks at 45 degrees to the cam sprockets for proper installation. I did not remove the rear head. Is there an easier way to get the timing right based on the position of the cams on cylinders 1 - 3 or do I need to follow the manual?

Thanks

Nick

I figured it out. I added the 45 degree marks on the front cam sprockets per the manual and after I moved the crankshaft 90 degrees I was able to drop the cams right in and rotate them 45 degrees. Once I did that I was able to put the chain and sprockets on. Now when I move the rear to T1-3 with the index marks up, the front cams are on the original index marks also. So it turns out the end result is the same, just had to get there differently.

Now on to adjusting the valves..

You got it right.. All index lines should align with cilinder heads surface face on T1-3 and all cam indexes should face up (or all down).. The manual describes it to install the fronts on T2-4 with re-indexing the cams.. A little tricky if you don't index them right, and also a chance to get the cams 180 degrees out... The manual states this because it's easier to get them in.. But if you back the valve set screws out fully, you can get all cams in on T1-3...

Archived