Loose Rear End

Lint

Ok, this is my 2005. This the area behind the seat latch. I noticed that the rear cowl is a little loose. The two stainless screws under the seat are in place, but the area around the taillight is loose. The light assembly itself is correctly attached, but the back of the cowl moves around. a little, light and all. If you look in the picture, it appears that the black plastic pin sticking through the hole is supposed to have some sort of barrel nut and screw in /over it. Do you know? I can't find anything on Bike Bandit in the schematic. The pin slides back and forth and if I could secure it, it would tighten up my loose part of the cowl.

post-25798-0-69983100-1446869144.jpg.........

If you look under the oval seals in this picture, you will see what I am talking about. If nothing is made, then maybe I can find something at Fastenal. I haven't peeked to see if there are threads in the spot that sticks through the hole, but if I can figure out a way to secure this, it would really solidify the backmost part of the cowl.

hj0706044056.gif

• Member Contributer

I don't think there are any screws intended for that.
When removing the rear cowl, the service manual only discusses the 4 bolts holding the rear grab rails, the two screws that hold the rear cowl to the sub-frame up by the tank, and the two 5mm stainless pan screws that you mentioned.

When I look at the parts fiche sections for the rear fender, the rear cowl, and the tail light, I don't see anything.

The picture of the tail light in the service manual doesn't show much detail, but it only lists the four screws that attach the tail light to the rear cowl.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was loose by design.

Instead of trying to find a screw, I would suggest a rubber grommet or even electrical or foam tape to fill the space between the bosses on the tail light and the holes in the rear fender.

• Member Contributer

If you look in the picture, it appears that the black plastic pin sticking through the hole is supposed to have some sort of barrel nut and screw in /over it. Do you know? I can't find anything on Bike Bandit in the schematic. The pin slides back and forth and if I could secure it, it would tighten up my loose part of the cowl.

You are referring to the circled piece below, yes?

post-31913-0-92413800-1446878169.jpg

Mine looks like this:

post-31913-0-06734100-1446878549.jpg

If I've understood you and am reading the fiche correctly, ggathagan is right and the missing piece is a grommet. The "rear combination light" parts fiche identifies callout tag 11 as: 80101-310-000 RUBBER, RR. FENDER CUSHION

post-31913-0-58086100-1446878482.jpg

Note that there are two: left side and right side.

Thanks to both of you. I don't have the grab rails in, so I don't knew if having bolts there would make a difference. I'll definitely order up the rubber bushings, thanks for the research.

• Member Contributer

On the topic of parts fiche (showing my age there, I doubt they're produced on fiche anymore), does anyone know what the "RR" suffix designates? I see it in many part names but am unable to decipher the abbreviation:

FENDER ASSY. A, RR.

REFLECTOR, RR. REFLEX

PLATE, RR. FENDER

• Member Contributer

RR means rear

I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years, but I guess it makes sense if you want a bookend match to "FR" for "front", especially since "R" alone was already taken by "right". Thank you.

Archived