Newbie With Questions

travec1

I'm a newbie in every sense of the word with a lot of questions. With that being said, if this isn't the correct forum I apologize in advance. First off, like I said I am NEW - I don't even have my license yet and am looking for good programs in my local area. It seems that as Fall/Winter approach the offerings become few and far between.

So here is my question....my friends who have been riding for decades suggested that I look into getting a 2000-early 2002 VFR 800 because it could be a solid entry-level with room to grow. However, one thing a friend mentioned is that the earlier VTEC motors weren't as good as the prior model. Can someone explain that to me? It seems to me that having that technology would be a benefit especially since those models appear to come with ABS braking.

Again, I am new but I am trying to make use of my time while I am waiting for the classes to open up.

Thanks in advance!

• Member Contributer

The motors in >>>ALL<<< VFRs are just fine unless just completely abused by an owner. The only "problem" with some of the earlier VTECHs is that some riders felt like the VTECH transition came on too soon and too abruptly. Honda bumped the transition RPMs a little higher in later models to accommodate those complaints. None of them are faulty or unreliable and it wasn't a motor issue as much as a power band vs VTECH issue.

I've had a 1st gen '85, a 4th gen '97, and now a 6th gen '07 and there hasn't been any inherent problems with any of them. Aside from regular maintenance items, the only thing that ever got replaced was the R/R (regulator/rectifier) on my '97 about two years after I bought it. That cost me about $120 and was a simple plug-n-play item that took under ten minutes to complete.

As far as riding for decades, this was my 30th year on a motorcycle - WHOOP WHOOP!

• Member Contributer

Your friend's probably thinking of the 2002 through 2005 models (the VTEC motor came along in 2002). Here's a thread that has some info on '02 thru - 05's vs '06 through '09's. 1998 through 2001 models were the 5th generation with similar motors, but do not have VTEC and use gears to drive the cams so do not have issues with cam chain tensioners. Valve adjustments on 5th generations are simpler than the VTEC motor. 5th gens were not available with factory luggage or ABS.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/82134-05-or-08/

Since you're new and in the Bay Area, check out the Doc Wong riding clinics (free) that will help greatly in developing riding skills. An MSF class or similar is one weekend then you move on. Doc Wong clinics happen on a regular basis and will help you keep concepts fresh while developing skills. They're geared toward the rider with 3 years or less experience and returning riders that may not have ridden in several decades. Any skill level is welcome. Here are some links:

http://www.docwong.com/st-clinc/

There are even Meetup groups centered around it

http://www.meetup.com/docwong/

• Member Contributer

Your size will be a major factor in whether or not any VFR will be a good choice as a 1st bike.
VFR's run between 500 and 550 lbs. That's a lot of bike to wrestle if you're of average height and weight and you've had no experience with any motorcycle.

I'm not the most experienced member of this forum but as a relative newcomer I can identify with the learning curve. Owners of the so-called sixth generation bikes (2001+) which introduced the Vtec might disagree with this but some of us prefer the earlier bikes because a) they don't have Vtec because it adds complexity which adds to servicing costs b) because the V-tec, especially in its first incarnation, introduced a noticeable step in the power delivery at 6-7000rpm and c) because it did away with the gear-drive for the cams, reverting to the more usual chain drive.

The gear-driven cams on the fifth gen (98-01) add a distinctive whine to the frankly unbeatable sound of the V4 engine, reminding you always you are riding something special. Honda added them to the previous generation of this engine as they had problems with an earlier cam chain. As a result, together with their nikasil (or something) plated bores these engines achieved legendary reliability. There's an apocryphal story of an English courier rider who bought a VFR and clocked up 400,000 miles on it before it needed a rebuilt. He thought that was pretty good going so he got another one and did 470,000 on that one... Mileages vary depending on who tells the story. On the downside, some people strike problems with the regulator/rectifier failing and killing the battery or sometimes even more expensive bits, which would be annoying, especially if you were far from home. Honda tends to regard reg/recs as a consumable item. There are a variety of fixes or preventative measures around - see the threads on here about it - but the simplest seems to be replacing it with a newer, more robust item.

Sometimes this bike is criticized for being heavier than others of a similar vintage with similar power but I for one like the planted feel of this bike. The V4 layout means it has two cylinder heads, two radiators, two exhaust manifolds and double the plumbing, and a centre-stand (well worth having), so we shouldn't begrudge its few extra pounds but I think it also reflects the extra Honda quality. Most bikes of this age show signs of aging yet my bike, and others, are regularly mistaken for brand new. Given just moderate care - cleaning, basically - Honda's alloy frame and fastenings just don't seem to oxidise like those on other manufacturers' machines.

The bike is definitely not short of poke, and the power delivery of the V4 is wonderfully linear, even in standard trim. Some owners play around with fuelling and remove some bits and bobs as emission regulations have encouraged all manufacturers to add sensors and gubbins that lean off the fuel mixture at the known measurement speeds.

Some say, and I won't argue, that the fifth generation is the best version of the best bike ever. It's good at everything - touring, commuting, travelling two-up, sports riding and even track days. As someone else put it on here, it's not the best bike at any one thing, except being the best at being nearly the best at everything.

I'd also advise scanning the net. There are lots of reviews out there of all the different models, some contemporary but also quite a few retrospective, showing how well it has aged, how advanced it was at the time - singe-sided swingarm, brilliant headlight, good gauges etc - how it now represents excellent value for money, and even how well it performs against modern competition.

Some might say it's a good bike to learn on - it's a great performer with abilities far beyond average riders, no vices, a brilliant soundtrack and it will teach you how to ride. Whether you then see any point in moving to another bike is another question.

ABS is undoubtedly a good thing, but not essential.

Enjoy the immersion.

• Member Contributer

If you'd like to read what the journalists were saying about the VFR when it was new, there are plenty of magazine article scans in the downloads section you can browse for free. Here are a couple . . .

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/138-motor-cyclist-5th-gen-review-moty-sept-98/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/files/file/122-sport-rider-6th-gen-review-april-2002/

• Member Contributer

Since you're new and in the Bay Area, check out the Doc Wong riding clinics (free) that will help greatly in developing riding skills. An MSF class or similar is one weekend then you move on. Doc Wong clinics happen on a regular basis and will help you keep concepts fresh while developing skills. They're geared toward the rider with 3 or years less experience and returning riders that may not have ridden in several decades. Any skill level is welcome. Here are some links:

http://www.docwong.com/st-clinc/

There are even Meetup groups centered around it

http://www.meetup.com/docwong/

+1 I have been riding street since '08 and I took Doc's street riding class a few months ago. Great refresher, plus the groups are broken up appropriately. Had a great day with riders of all levels. Best part is the cost....FREE

Archived