4Th Gen - To Buy Or Not Advice

Like the title says, looking for some advice on buying a 96 VFR for $650.

I've been looking for a second bike but not sure what I want and willing to wait. I recently passed on a new 8th gen at a deep discount because I wasn't looking to spend thousands and it is not radically different than my 02.

Been scouring the classified and saw this 96 about a month ago. Guy wanted $1800. It has been re-listed at $800. Bike shows about 20K on the odometer.

Went a looked at it today. Guys says it was a storage auction buy. Clean title (non-salvage) and he had keys made. Does not run. Starter turns but does not engage. Motor rotates. Wheels are straight. Forks straight. Plastics are ugly or not that. Rear fairing is solid with some scratches. Side fairings are gone. Front fairing has a huge crack on the left side and piece missing near left headlight. Tank is solid with only minor scratches, no dents.

Clearly it has been sitting outside for some time with rust on the usual area.

I know nothing beyond that. I brought a XS650 back from dead a few years ago and looking for a project in my spare time. Also, hoping to spark some interest in my sons. I realize 4th gens plastics are very hard to find so that is not a deciding factor for me. I'm not interested in a complete engine rebuild.

All that said, should I commit or not?

post-10230-0-24659700-1443889859.jpg

• Member Contributer

Snap it up! Engine will have no issues... Fairings are easy to find, but for a price. I have plenty in various conditions and can help you out if needed. My '94 is my fun bike, just got back from a 2k + trip, cut short due catching a rock mid corner and not being able to get a tire...but she has never failed to bring a smile to me as I flog her constantly

2015 09 11 14.14.39

:wheel: She is presently at almost 117k.

• Member Contributer

He's been trying to sell it on ebay also. I bought one in similar shape years ago in the same price range but much less corrosion. Fixing corrosion can be either expensive (replacement parts) or cheap (lots of manual labor/elbow grease). It was my second 4G so I knew how cost prohibitive replacing OEM bodywork was and had planned from the get go to make mine a project bike instead of a restoration.

rightsideweb-1.jpg

Archived