Uk Spec 2002 Vtec Mph To Kmh?

Otaylor38

Hey!

Ive read in an online manual for the 2002 VTEC that its possible on UK bikes to change the speedo from MPH to KMH by pressing the select button and holding it?

However mine doesnt seem to do it?

Also when i first turn the ignition on and all the crystals show up, there isnt a KMH one.

Anybody got any ideas? Is it me, or does it not do it?

Im going on a trip through France and into Holland for the BSB at Assen in a few weeks, so it would be nice if it did KMH too.

Cheers!! (:

• Member Contributer

Is it possible that your bike and/or dash aren't originally UK spec'd?

Is it possible that your bike and/or dash aren't originally UK spec'd?

Well it might be. Ive only had the bike about 16 months. But im the second owner, and it is absolutly immaculate tbh. Easily as clean as it was when it came out the factory. The dash is showing 23k miles now (16 when i bought it). So ive no reason to believe its had a smash.

But i guess its not impossible?

Would the frame number or anything tell me?

Cheers (:

• Member Contributer

Did you "Press and Hold the SELECT button for more than 2 seconds" to change from mph to kph? With the ignition ON, clearly.

Did you "Press and Hold the SELECT button for more than 2 seconds" to change from mph to kph? With the ignition ON, clearly.

I did mate yeah. I held it for about 30 seconds incase. Tried it a few times.

I dont think the display has a KMH thing in it. As when i turn on the ignition and everything shows up, theres mph, but no kmh.

Is that possible?

• Member Contributer

I'm afraid I can't check mine as I had to leave the bike at work cos I borrowed a works car. Can look tomorrow though.

I'm sure someone else could check.

Which country-spec doesn't have a kph option? US? Aus?

I'm afraid I can't check mine as I had to leave the bike at work cos I borrowed a works car. Can look tomorrow though.

I'm sure someone else could check.

Which country-spec doesn't have a kph option? US? Aus?

Cheers mate (:

Hmm not sure. From the other threads ive read, it just says 'imported'. US im guessing?

Although i dont think AUS laws need a KMH setting. Could be wrong.

• Member Contributer

Can't check mine, no factory dash. Sorry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Have you checked here?

Cheers.

Thats all good mate. Corresponds with my V5 and all the paperwork ive got with the bike.it even says 'declared new at first registration'.

So its not an imported bike.

But if its had a smash, theyve been on ebay and got a US or AUS dash cluster? Maybe? Would that make sense?

Might go and see a few used ones and see what their clusters are like?

• Member Contributer

I have a french VFR (they are different from other european bikes for power limitation reasons), and I can't change from Km/H to MPH either, although the mph sign is definitely present on the dash, but doesn't light up on ignition.

2015-09-08 21.46.47 - copie.jpg 2015-09-08 21.47.51 - copie.jpg

I had an other UK spec VFR when I was living in Cambridge. I remember being able to change from MPH to Km/H when I was travelling back to France.

So I checked my french user manual, and it states that this change is only possible on "E type".

2015-09-08 21.56.28 - copie.jpg

HTH

post-23933-0-68508900-1441745542.jpg

post-23933-0-70267100-1441745543.jpg

post-23933-0-71508600-1441745544.jpg

I have a french VFR, and I can't change from Km/H to MPH either, although the mph sign is definitely present on the dash, but doesn't light up on ignition.

2015-09-08 21.46.47 - copie.jpg 2015-09-08 21.47.51 - copie.jpg

I had an other UK spec VFR when I was living in Cambridge. I remember being able to change from MPH to Km/H when I was travelling back to France.

So I checked my french user manual, and it states that this change is only possible on "E type".

2015-09-08 21.56.28 - copie.jpg

HTH

Thats useful! Thanks!

Im just in the garage having another look after what you said.

I can see the KMH on my display (along with KM on the right display and F under the temp. None i can get to though) but i cant get to it.

Strange?

Thought it was UK law or something? I dno what to think haha.

all uk cars have KMH visible and i know the only way you can get rid of the KMH on the display of a Skoda for a big MPH readout is to set it to Aus. Again because of UK law i though. Hmm

• Member Contributer

Went back to the garage to pick up the manual I forgot there, just to check the "E type" story.

2015-09-08 23.49.40.jpg

So E if for UK, F for France, ED for european direct sales, U for Australia and NZ, EK for Ireland.

Maybe yours is not totally UK spec ?

What is your VIN (JH2RC46... on your V5 document)?

I clearly also have both km and mile(s) on the right hand side dash.

2015-09-08 23.45.04.jpg

post-23933-0-30831200-1441749128.jpg

post-23933-0-76322500-1441749129.jpg

Went back to the garage to pick up the manual I forgot there, just to check the "E type" story.

2015-09-08 23.49.40.jpg

So E if for UK, F for France, ED for european direct sales, U for Australia and NZ, EK for Ireland.

Maybe yours is not totally UK spec ?

What is your VIN (JH2RC46... on your V5 document)?

I clearly also have both KMH and MPH on the right hand side dash.

2015-09-08 23.45.04.jpg

Youre a top man!

Hmm i can tell you every single bit of my vin, but i wouldnt want to publish it on a web forum haha.

But yes, it starts with: JH2RC46A.

What does that mean mate? Haha.

Edit, your french one seems exactly like mine, only in metric haha. Even down to me having 3 bars fuel too!! Haha.

• Member Contributer
Hmm i can tell you every single bit of my vin, but i wouldnt want to publish it on a web forum haha.

I thought it was possible to discriminate the different type/countries with the VIN, but 46A (and 46C for bike with ABS) could be for Europe, UK or Ireland. Mine is 46D.

You can test you VIN here : http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_select_VIN_M20.php

I thought it was possible to discriminate the different type/countries with the VIN, but 46A (and 46C for bike with ABS) could be for Europe, UK or Ireland. Mine is 46D.

You can test you VIN here : http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_select_VIN_M20.php

Cheers!

I can tell what factory it was made, in Japan, but unfortunately i cant see which country it was made for? :(.

All very interesting though thankyou.

I guess it doesnt really matter. But im abit anal in that i like things perfect. I might just sell on next year anyway and move on to something abit newer.

You're welcome!

Have fun in France :-)

Thanks! I hope to.

Will see how much of the VFR is 'touring'. Ive done a 400 mile day on it before, but this trip will be 700 miles in a day.

Over to Calais, up through France, Belgium and to Assen for the BSB.

Luckily ive got a garmin zumo rugged up, so ill make that tell me the KMH haha.

• Member Contributer
Luckily ive got a garmin zumo rugged up, so ill make that tell me the KMH haha.

Our bikes are definitively very similar :-)

• Member Contributer

Do Euro bikes from 2002 have lights ON/OFF switch on the right switch cluster? UK bikes do, until 2006 when lights were on permanently and switch changed to hazard lights switch.

Anyone?

Bueller?

Do Euro bikes from 2002 have lights ON/OFF switch on the right switch cluster? UK bikes do, until 2006 when lights were on permanently and switch changed to hazard lights switch.

Anyone?

Bueller?

Good thinkin!

Mine does have this, like a UK spec should.

Il be interested to hear. Cheers (:

• Member Contributer

US bike change from mph to kmh with no problem. if you short press your select button does the water temp change to outside air temp? If it doesn't you might have a faulty select button.

US bike change from mph to kmh with no problem. if you short press your select button does the water temp change to outside air temp? If it doesn't you might have a faulty select button.

Ah. Dno where mine is from?

Yeah it goes between coolant and air temp with no problem mate

Archived