Conti-Motion Tire Set $152.69 Shipped Via Amazon Link

zupatun

Question

• Member Contributer

I bought my 180 section Rear tire for $85 shipped last month...but just found this...

CONTINENTAL MOTION Tire Set 120/70zr17 Front & 180/55zr17 Rear 180 55 17 120 70 17 2 Tire Set

I have 5,500 miles on my current Conti Motion rear tire and it is a VERY nice tire...at this price you would need a Pilot Road rear to cost about $115 or $120 to justify the extra mileage you can get out of teh PR4...

I have ridden plenty of SS and ST tires...Dunlops, Pirellis, Metzler, Michelin and Bridgestone...this is one of the best bargains on a very nice tire out there.

Matt

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

Looks like a great deal.

Matt, did yours arrive yet? One reviewer said the tires were two years old and that is why they are discounted....

• Member Contributer

Corner Carver...the tire that has 5,500 miles on it is over 5 years old...got it from a lister who bought it with his bike and didn't want to run an "old" tire. I have used race take-offs that were a year old and two years old at trackdays...as long as the tires aren't stored outside or dont' have tons of heat cycles, for the average every day rider a two-year old tire won't make much difference IMO...YMMV.

If a reviewer wants "fresh buns" maybe they should drive up to the factory and order them from the loading dock...just to make sure. Boy am I snarky today...sorry. Seriously, my first Conti was free...and five years old...most of my riding is two types...commuting in the gunk/rain/dust in DC traffic or leaned over in W. VA, PA, VT, NH and ME...I will say I have not had these at a trackday...that's the only way I'll ride over 75%...then we could push to 85% or90% and get them really sliding and see how they work with some real heat in them. Mine have been exemplary in the wet as well...as good or better than my Dunlop Roadsmarts...but no worse. Not as good at the PR2 I had, but Michelin tires are just about the best in the rain there are...

These are good tires. period -- whether they are one month old or two years old...

Corner Carver you live and ride in heaven...if I did maybe I would be more discerning...or if I was doing more trackdays I'd slip on some race take-offs or just slide on Q3's...Q3's are that good too...but for good hard every day riding, and the occasional knee down these are a sweet deal.

Matt

• Member Contributer

OH YEAH!

That's the extent of my snappy comeback. :wink:

It is an ST tire and track day junkies generally care more about old stale tires than guys commuting on them so no worries. I think most on here should be aware that they are getting a tire that is a couple years old.

For the money I am sure it is a great tire, hell for $50 more it is still a great deal.

I think the Bridgestone deal I took advantage of last time ended up having a tire about 18 months old but that is the reason that quality first brand tires go on sale.

I will tell my sons to pick up a set for commuting. Thanks for the tip on them.

• Member Contributer

I have still to mount the 5 year old front Continental...I will practice my MSF emergency stopps with it once it is scrubbed in and give a report...then I will repeat in the rain...always fun to test that.

The Dunlop Q I have on front now is 3+ years old and is still grippy on the pavement AND in the rain. I generally test how well the front grips in the rain over time...not just to test the tire, but to see how bad the gunk is on the pavement i'm driving on at any given time. My last 5th gen is gone because a: teenage driver in Columbus Ohio went Left across 3 lanes of traffic with no signal because she didn't want to "miss her turn"...almost hitting two other cars...b: I couldn't slow down in time because it had just rained for 20 minutes and the gunk on the city streets made it an ice rink...so much for a nice gradual pull...

I am sensitive on this subject.

Matt Roth

Ive got Conti-Motions on my 5th gen and my Hawk GT. Dad has them on both his R1100S'. We're both getting really good mileage out of them. I've got just over 8000 km on mine and there is just a hint of squaring on the rear and no cupping on the front yet. 6500 km on the Hawk tires, and same story.

I'm sold on them.

• Member Contributer

I have a friend who has 200k+ on his 4th gen...he's a very competent and skilled rider currently trekking to Alaska on a Tiger 800. He runs Shinkos (ST version) and he really likes them...basically Conti s are better than the Shinkos...hard to go "wrong" with modern rubbers...Only tire that truly scared we was a pair of Original 5 year old OEM D220s with 10K miles on them...slicker than bat snot!

Archived