Kaoko Throttle Lock And Heli-Bars

• Member Contributer

Hi, for those that have the Kaoko throttle lock and Heli-bars installed on the VFR1200. The installation instruction from Heli-Bars say to re-use the internal handle bar weight in the Heli-Bars. Is this proper for use the internal bar weight with the Kaoko throttle lock? Currently installing Heli-Bars on my VFR1200. Thanks for all answers.

• Member Contributer

I have the Kaoko but not the Heli-bars and I thought after reading some reviews the installation was the same as standard bars. You could also email Kaoko to be sure of the correct installation.

• Member Contributer

I have sent off inquiries to both Kaoko and Heli-Bar about this. THe Kaoko has a friction fit setup that would need to go inside the bar end whereas the internal bar weight sticks out a little from the bar end.I presume Heli-Bar says to re-use the internal bar weight to be used with the OEM bar end.

• Member Contributer

I have the 1200 with Helibars. Check the fit, I couldn't get my Kaoko into my Helibars...at least not without sweat fitting it in. If yours fit, you can push the OEM weight into the Helibar to clear the Kaoko. I did this on the OEM bars just to try the Kaoko. BTW, the Kaoko fit the OEM bars fine.

• Member Contributer

OK, i found my installation instructions for the Kaoko and it does say to discard the internal bar weight but I might try the above method of inserting it further to clear the Kaoko install. Now my issue is to install the OEM Honda heated grips. It says in the instructions for them to read the OEM Maintenance Manual to find out how to remove the throttle cables from the OEM throttle slide grip and install them onto the OEM Heated Grip slide. I have been searching the download of this but have not come across it yet. If someone knows what section it is in PLEASE let me know. THANKS in advance.

• Member Contributer

Ok, found out that you have to remove the Inner Lower Cowl, then the Right Middle Cowl, remove the throttle cables from the throttle drum there first, then remove the throttle cable from the throttle slide on the right handle bar.

• Member Contributer

The heated grip instructions will tell you to use Honda grip glue on the left grip...don't. It's a tight fit. Grip glue will gum it up and may cause the grip to get stuck partially installed. Don't ask how I know. Isopropyl alcohol alone is all you need for a solid install.

• 8 months later...

I have both Heli Bars and the Honda OEM grip heaters on my VFR1200F. The dealer installed them both. I'm now looking to install the Kaoko throttle lock. Reviewing the Heli Bars install guide (), I noticed the following statements: ...10.) Removing Damper Units from Stock Handlebar(s); 11.) ...use some rubbing alcohol to help release the rubber bushings from the inside of the tube; 12.) ...Reinstall the damper weight and tighten, making sure the ridge on the weight is properly engaged with the corresponding ridge on the damper unit. ... Remove both Left and Right damper weights from the end of the stock handlebars. ... Continue pulling and twisting until the damper comes out...; 13.) Clean the damper rubbers and shafts, and reinstall into the Heli Bars. Although I wasn't present to confirm, sure sounds like the original components are re-used. Given this, I'm thinking I should be OK choosing the Kaoko that is pulled up when specifying VFR1200F. Sound right?

Archived