Throttle Cable Attachment

So my kill switch connections were poor, so took the right hand assembly off and used some contact cleaner, dielectric grease, and I lubed the throttle cables while they were off.

Went to reattach them.....annnnnnd the bike is fighting me every step of the way. I loosened the adjustment part as far as it will go, which made removing the cables easy but it's not helping for the reattach.

My problem is that there is not enough slack on the rear cable to go up and over into the slot. Is there a trick that I have to do, or am I gonna have to dig into fairing and then the throttle body for this? Also, am I going to have to do a starter valve sync after this if I touch the throttle body?

• Member Contributer

Seems as though turning the bars to the left should put enough slack in the cables to get it done.

• Member Contributer

You only need to lift up the tank to see where the cables turn the throttle bodies (image shown). You can make adjustments there also but you might first want to try removing the cable from the throttle body (very easy, like removing them from the grip) and see if they both are intact. I had a problem where the throttle grip was not snapping back and it was that the return cable had snapped from corrosion inside the sheathing.

post-24160-0-60832200-1437878472.jpg

• 1 month later...

You only need to lift up the tank to see where the cables turn the throttle bodies (image shown). You can make adjustments there also but you might first want to try removing the cable from the throttle body (very easy, like removing them from the grip) and see if they both are intact. I had a problem where the throttle grip was not snapping back and it was that the return cable had snapped from corrosion inside the sheathing.

This was very helpful, thank you!

Archived