Stomp Grip Installation, It Came Out Better Than I Was Expecting.

SHvar

I Ordered the Stomp Grip kit specific to the 2014 VFR800F, it comes with 2 small black pieces for the black plastic below the tank, and 2 clear larger pieces for the tank itself. I did not want to cover that red paint with black, so took the challenge of getting rid of as many bubbles as possible.

I watched a few videos on installations, and pushed my bike out into the sun to warm it up (84 degree F day), also sat the stomp grips and new tank protector in the sun for a while.

First clean the side surfaces of the tank, back surface for the tank protector, and the black plastic on the sides below the tank with brake clean (alcohol), and wiped it with a microfiber cloth.

Started each side piece while lining it up where I wanted it by just pealing a small single corner of the backing paper and starting it, then going from center to outside pressing it with my thumbs sending all air bubbles to the direction of the unpealed section of the grip.

Doing this 1/2 of an inch at a time for the entire project, then rubbing across, down and up on the entire stomp grip to make sure its done with no bubbles.

The first side went on very good, the black sections go on easy because you cant see any bubbles. The second side was not in direct sun at the time, and nearing the end there was a large persistent fly which decided to go after my eyes until I was almost done. The result was that I had a bubble to work out in that one area (stick a needle into the air bubble and press the air out, well almost all of it).

Photos.

1st side.

IMG_08261_zpsabb8kkcv.jpg

2nd side.

IMG_08281_zpsircmohkc.jpg

Tank protector.

IMG_08241_zpsgpddeoqj.jpg

There is a bit of an optical effect that looks like bubbles because of the shade in the photos. The worst part is the blisters from pressing so hard with your thumbs and finger tips during the installation.

I let it sit the last day since installing so it can set up better. Ill be trying it out today going back to work, I was at home sick the last 2 days.

Right away I could tell a difference, no slipping on the tank or plastic, it takes no effort to hang on with my legs now, cornering became much easier with more confidence, and more feedback from the road and suspension. Now my legs arent going to get fatigued hanging on while cornering, and riding fast. They take more weight off of your hands also, its like the bike just falls over into corners much easier. Seems to provide much more control while riding. I noticed some turns I was going faster than usual without trying to.

I just took a look at my recently installed Dunlop Road Smart 2's, my chicken strips got smaller on the first ride to work alone, and thats with too much traffic getting in the way at various times. I will see how much more they improve my riding experience sometime soon.

Archived