Occasional Idle Issue?

Otaylor38

Hi guys.

Had my 2002 Vtec for about 9 months now. Had some issues when i first got it due to the blue earth connector, but thats sorted now (fingers crossed).

Now and again, when warm, I'll start the bike and itll refuse to idle. The revs will try to drop until it stalls if i dont hold them up abit with the throttle.

Sometimes i can cure this by turning it off and restarting, however sometimes i have to put up with it for a few miles until it miraculously seems to sort itself.

Its not a massive issue as such at the moment, but i was wondering what it could be?

If its something on its way out id like to get it sorted before i do any big trips this summer.

Any ideas? Common issue? Idle control valve?

Cheers in advance!

• Member Contributer

This seems to be a pretty common issue. It's often related to the "wax unit" function. The wax unit is basically a low temp idle control mechanism. It's not supposed to need adjustment - but mine did.

There are lots of threads that you'll be able to find with a search and reading those should help you find a solution.

Also check your idle speed when the engine is warm. Make sure it's not set too low. I have mine just under 1400 rpm.

Mark

This seems to be a pretty common issue. It's often related to the "wax unit" function. The wax unit is basically a low temp idle control mechanism. It's not supposed to need adjustment - but mine did.

There are lots of threads that you'll be able to find with a search and reading those should help you find a solution.

Also check your idle speed when the engine is warm. Make sure it's not set too low. I have mine just under 1400 rpm.

Mark

Cheers! I've had a look about n seen a few similar things but with different conclusions.

It does idle to between 1300/1400 when warm, i set that myself as it was too low when i got the bike.

Any idea if it does get progressively worse as time goes on, or just stay as it is?

If it does stay like this im not too fussed, but if theres a possibility itll break whilst im on a big trip. Hundreds of miles from home, Id rather get it sorted in advance haha.

Archived