My 6Th Gen, Review And Simple Mods.

rigger4343

Doc, your avatar pic is totally unacceptable...such an abomination that needs to be removed, AT ONCE! :D

I wish you could have been with rigger and myself on our ride Saturday...I miss our rides! I miss your face!

• Member Contributer

After a doing a charity ride with a bunch of other bikes one day, I decided my bike was way to quiet! So after a bunch of research, I decided to do the stage two free exhaust mod. Well mine is more like a Stage 2.5 because of some issues I had with removing one pipe but that is another story.

Can you elaborate on what you actually did to the exhaust? I cut the ends off my cans and removed the baffles several years back, but I don't know what you are referring to by "Stage 2..."

All in all, you've got a great collection of mostly-functional mods going there. Nice work.

• Member Contributer

Doc, your avatar pic is totally unacceptable...such an abomination that needs to be removed, AT ONCE! :D

I wish you could have been with rigger and myself on our ride Saturday...I miss our rides! I miss your face!

Tom, I know you secretly love my avatar! Just like when we used to watch Pit v. Denver- I know you were rooting for the black and gold in your mind!

After a doing a charity ride with a bunch of other bikes one day, I decided my bike was way to quiet! So after a bunch of research, I decided to do the stage two free exhaust mod. Well mine is more like a Stage 2.5 because of some issues I had with removing one pipe but that is another story.

Can you elaborate on what you actually did to the exhaust? I cut the ends off my cans and removed the baffles several years back, but I don't know what you are referring to by "Stage 2..."

All in all, you've got a great collection of mostly-functional mods going there. Nice work.

I just call it the "free stage 2" because that is what I have seen others refer to it by. It is the hole saw method of opening up the pipes. Stage 1 is where you only modify the top two pipes. Stage 2 is where you do all four. You dont need to cut open the cans or anything and it sounds pretty cool. I had a problem with one of the lower tubes so mine is a little more open than it would be normally. Thats why I call mine a Stage 2.5, give or take a little. I did a write up on it with pictures but I cant find it now. I am sure you can find plenty of write ups on it but feel free to ask any questions.

Tom, we did have a pretty good ride on Saturday. Cant wait to do it again.

• Member Contributer

I just call it the "free stage 2" because that is what I have seen others refer to it by. It is the hole saw method of opening up the pipes. Stage 1 is where you only modify the top two pipes. Stage 2 is where you do all four. You dont need to cut open the cans or anything and it sounds pretty cool. I had a problem with one of the lower tubes so mine is a little more open than it would be normally. Thats why I call mine a Stage 2.5, give or take a little. I did a write up on it with pictures but I cant find it now. I am sure you can find plenty of write ups on it but feel free to ask any questions.

You guys just need to come out here and we will go riding for a week! Or we could meet halfway! Either one and I'm a happy girl!

You guys just need to come out here and we will go riding for a week! Or we could meet halfway! Either one and I'm a happy girl!

Sounds like a great idea to me!

• Member Contributer

The "meet in the middle" idea might be solved by a Hog Tie meet-up in NW Arkansas.

• 2 months later...

Well I figured I would make an update and maybe throw a few more pictures up.

Tires.... Now that I have had a chance to put a few more miles on the Angels GT's, I do have to say that I really like them a lot! Such a big improvement on the bike overall feel.

I had someone else ask me about how I mounted my GPS. All I use is a mirror mount and I used the fork pinch bolt as a mounting point for it. It has worked out great for the VFR. I have also switched over to using a RAM X mount for the GPS. It also works great for my cell too so one mount works on both devices. Only thing that I dont like about the RAM X is that your device can still twist in the cradle after you have it in there. Its not a big deal and it really does not move much at all. Guess I am just a little picky.

I have also raised the forks in the clamps 10mm as some have suggested doing. I did not notice the huge improvement that I have heard some say but I do feel like it did help the bike out. Just a subtle change but I think I will leave it because it did seem to be a positive improvement.

I added a Go-Cruise and a Crampbuster to help out my right hand and wrist. I was not sure if I was going to like the Crampbuster but it does seem to have helped out my hand issues. I dont really like the size of it but it seems to work pretty well. The Go-Cruise, I have only used it a couple of times just for a few minutes at a time so I dont have a really good impression of it yet but so far, but I like it.

After listening to so many talk about charging issues, I decided to install a little 12v gauge on the bike just to keep an eye on voltage. Plus I just like the simple little project. The only hard part of the install was deciding where I wanted to put it! It is just tied into key on power and it does its job. Simple and effective.

The Sargent seat has proven to be a good investment as well. My passenger has also commented on how much better it is for her too. She has no complaints with it and likes how she can grip the seat much better than the stock seat.

I have been playing a little with stock suspension settings just experimenting. I know there is not much you can do with it but this is what I have found so far.

First off, I am about 165 pounds. My future wife is about 110 pounds and I do not ride very aggressively. Normally just cruise with short burst of excited play here and there.

-Stock settings, the bike was to soft even for just me and way to soft with a passenger.

-Next I cranked up to max preload in the front and the 5th notch in the rear. When we took it to the mountains, riding two up and some soft luggage, this seemed to work pretty well.

-But riding solo, this was beating me up bad. So I brought the front back down to the 3rd preload mark and dropped the rear back to the 3rd mark as well. For solo riding with the hard luggage on the bike, this seemed to work well. But when I put my woman on the back, it felt a little soft. Ride-able but a little soft.

-Yesterday we took the bike for a ride. Hardbags on with only a few items in them and my passenger. Before we left, I bumped the rear shock up to the 4th notch and this seemed to work well for the weight and how we were riding. Not sure if this is going to be a little to hard for just me but I will have to just wait and try it out.

My future wife also commented last night that she could tell a difference in the bike. She said when we first got it that she could tell the bike was off or I was not comfortable with the machine at the time. Or maybe a combination of the two together. She commented on how good the bike felt in the turns and how even she felt more confident as a passenger.

So maybe due to a combination of things, better tires, raising the forks, getting the preload set better for the weight and getting more confident with the bike in its current setup, that both of us have felt a noticeable improvement in the bike over the last year and half that I have owned it.

For a 9 1/2 year old bike with right at 20,000 miles on it, this VFR continues to impress me with its overall capabilities. I liked it when I first brought it home as a bone stock bike but I like it more now. She is not perfect but she does everything that I ask of her very well. Only thing I would like more is if she could handle some off road! Most people have absolutely no clue that it closing in on 10 years old. It does not ride like an almost 10 year old bike either. Guess that says a little something about how well the VFR is put together.

post-28936-0-71002500-1434328090.jpg

post-28936-0-11125300-1434328098.jpg

post-28936-0-80418700-1434328104.jpg

post-28936-0-15832500-1434328111.jpg

post-28936-0-21813700-1434328116.jpg

post-28936-0-72559300-1434328179.jpg

• 9 months later...

Beautiful setup. I love my 2007 bike as well and agree on the Pirelli GT. I have those after having the Pilot Road 2. I am looking to upgrade my levers. Yours look good. Have they functioned well too? Do you happen to remember which ones you ordered on ebay? There are so many choices...Thanks!

Archived