4Th Gen Tail Swap And Front End Swap - Latest Thoughts

Rhondeaux

Question

HI all - this is my first post and my first mod to the trusty 1996 known as "R2"

After reading a LOT of info about tails and front ends, I would like to get the "definitive" answer to a few questions. It seems extra years of wisdom and trial and error have given you all a lot of great lessons (hopefully not too painful). My questions are:

1) what rear subframe/ducktail is the easiest to fit? ( I am thinking of the style of R1, CBR600RR, Triumph 675). I mean relatively easy to bolt up, and minimum issues in getting the seat to fit.

For bonus points :) how does it change if you decide to go with an under tail exhaust?

2) What front end swap seems to be most successful / relatively easy?

I understand a few front ends mods have been done, as I have read something about R1s, CBR929/954, RC51and CBR600RR/F4-F4i (depending which country you are in)

Issues I can see are:

- CBR929/954 - very clean fit, can use

- CBR600RR - basically bolt in if you use the CBR front end (i.e not use the VFR front wheel), only issue is look of the 3 spoke wheel

- R1 - basically drops in if you use the entire front end, the bottom bearing from a VFR and the top bearing a cross between VFR and R1. Front wheel is a good match

OR use 929/954/RC51 triples and R1 forks, but need 2mm spacers for discs and axle

- RC51 - not going there.....

One question here - does this analysis change much with model changes? (i.e R1 work fine years some years but not others?)

I am good mechanically, but don't want to go too mad on my first conversion....so your collective knowledge would be a huge help!

2 answers to this question

Hello mate and welcome to VFRD! :beer:

You have a great group of VFR Modders all around you, some really killers mods and a front end swap pro.

check out the other Aussi members and give them a ring!

BR

I went with cbr954 triple trees, custom 2mm spacers and 2005 R1 forks/wheel/brakes.

For what its worth, the R1 wheel matches the VFR rear wheel perfectly.

I really what to do a new subframe and tail. I'm leaning towards 675r

Archived