1985 Vf - 1986 Vfr Engine Swap

gregger

Just wondering if it would be possible to put an engine from an '86 VFR in an '85 VF? The guy I bought this 1985 from wasn't the owner of the bike. The owner passed away while it was stored at his place, and the family left him the bike for payment of storage. He told me there was another engine he sold to another guy for a Go-Kart project. Long story short, in the box of parts I got with the bike is a wiring harness with a CDI that has VFR 700 written on it. I was just looking on a classified site and low and behold the guy that bought the engine for the go-kart is selling it because it's "overkill". YA THINK? Any way I believe since the '85 needs cams that the original owner was thinking of an engine swap with the VFR engine. What is a fair price for the VFR engine since it looks to be all rebuilt? Who knows, maybe the cams I need are in the boxes of parts go-kart guy has since I got a whole new gasket set for the '85 engine with the bike. It's hard to say since the owner passed away so only he would know. I wish I had got the bike before this guy sold the other engine to see what was in the parts boxes that he sent with it.

Here are the pics from the VFR engine ad. I'm wondering if the heads and cams were for the '85 engine. Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks, Greg.post-30919-0-28840600-1421875201.jpgpost-30919-0-49878500-1421875202.jpgpost-30919-0-65123000-1421875203.jpgpost-30919-0-33194200-1421875203.jpgpost-30919-0-19507100-1421875204.jpg

I couldn't find it, but I once saw a first gen with the seconomy Gen engine. I don't know how it was done, or if it was done right, BUT it was done. I figure (and I am still new this whole modding thing) if you can get the chain lined up and the engine in the frame, you should be good to go with the added benefit of some extra ponies.

The cam must be for a VF (chain driven, 1 cam lobe for 2 valves)

The Head is also for a VF (2 valves are operated by 1 rocker arm)

Edit:

No extra ponies when you swap a RC24 engine in an RC15 Frame, but highly increased reliability of the engine.

I´d like to do this mod, myself, too, but I didnt find any reliable references if ist possible, and how it is possible.

The cam must be for a VF (chain driven, 1 cam lobe for 2 valves)

The Head is also for a VF (2 valves are operated by 1 rocker arm)

Edit:

No extra ponies when you swap a RC24 engine in an RC15 Frame, but highly increased reliability of the engine.

I´d like to do this mod, myself, too, but I didnt find any reliable references if ist possible, and how it is possible.

Thank you, this is what I was wondering. The guy storing it shouldn't have sold the other engine with the parts because they are'nt for the VFR engine. They are for the VF engine in the bike I bought from him. The guy that has the engine told me $500 for VFR engine and boxes of parts (that I need).

And I have the wiring harness and cdi box for the vfr engine he got.

I also got a set of carbs on the plenum. I'll bet they are VFR carbs..

What a mess. Buddy should've kept everything together.

Won't fit without some serious frame welding and mount fabbing.

The 83-85 750 and 700 engines will all interchange between those years no problem.

They are much larger, physically, than the 86-89 700/750 engines.

86-89 700/750 engines will swap between those years no problem.

also, the 83-85 had a full steel tube perimeter frame, whereas the 86-89 had an aluminum beam frame with the engine as a stressed member. Totally different mounting points.

The ones that are the most similar are the 90-93 and 94-97

Those are probably more doable from a swapping standpoint.

Likewise 98-01 and 02-09 are semi-interchageable with relatively light fabrication.

(all things considered, like a 350 chev into a beetle, haha)

Anybody need a VFR engine and wiring harness if i buy this from this guy? I dont need it but he has the heads and cams for the '85 i have and doesnt even realize they arent for it. (I've been texting him trying t o explain it) :wacko: I dont need the heads and cams, I can strip the '84 VF750F i have for the parts for the '85 but would rather not. But I will. The guy wants $500. Too much i think.

• Member Contributer

Joep did it over on V4BBS. it will fit with most mounting points being similar. The upper triangluar bracket needs to be longer ...see below.

Bloklinks.jpg

The left front engine tab has to be shaved off a bit to make it inside the frame. Allso the ring welded on the frametab has to come of making it look like this:

BloklpuntLinksvoor.jpg

On the right front, the original bushing from the VF750F engine has to be used, except shave the collar of, making it look like this:

Blokpuntlinksvoor.jpg

Also, the frame insert has to be altered a bit... The frame tab on the inside of the engine has to go.. Except only the bolthole. Strength between the frame is regained by using a piece of roundbar through the engine mounting points and frame, making it look like this:

BlokpuntRechtsvoor.jpg

The bottom left engine mount stays the same... The original bushing has to be shortened from 65mm to 50mm Making it look like this:

BlokpuntLinksachter.jpg

The bottom right engine mount also stays the same, except a 25mm bushing is needed and can be used from the original top engine bolt, except the hole has to drilled from 8mm to 10mm. Making it look like this:

BlokpuntRechtsachter.jpg

The rear valve cover fits between the frame if you shave of both sides.. There is some curving made on the outside, but if you flatten in out it should fit with about 2mm on each side to spare:

AchtersteCylinders.jpg

The front bank stays the same:

CylinderkopRechtsvoor.jpg

You'll have to use the VFR's exhaust because the ports are different. You'll have better luck I think with the VF's colling system, you'll just have to make a bracket to carry the lower radiator. Really not that bad but I understand that's relative for people. I'd do it just for kicks.

Wow, thanks for the pics Kel. I'm just wanting to get this '85 running. I'm thinking my '84 is a parts bike and I'll just steal the heads and cams from it for a cheap fix. But this definately looks cool. I found my camera charger and it's sunny out so I'm off down the street to my parents house where the '85 is to take pics of it. I'll post pics up soon of the old girl.

Archived