Current Klr Rider, Thinking Of A Vfr

Guest mava

I posted elsewhere on the forum and it was recommended that I make an intro post here, so here we are. I've been riding for several years in Central VA and I'm looking for something new to replace my KLR, assuming I can sell it. I've got my eye on an '03 VFR 800 that looks to be in good shape in all ways. Anything in particular to look for with the model/year?

Looks like a good forum you have.

I currently have a 06 VFR that I really enjoy. I would think it would be a big change going from the KLR to the VFR but as long as you don't mind sticking to the street, you should really enjoy it.

The 6th gen bikes seem to be a love or hate them kind of thing. People either love or hate the VTEC transition and it seems to differ from bike to bike in certain cases both from what I have read and ridden. The VTEC hit does not bother me at all but at the same time I would not mind if it did not have that hit at all. Most of the time I think it is fun. I like how the bike does so well everywhere else for the way that I use it that even if I hated the hit, I would probably ride it anyway. One thing it does very will at for me is riding a passenger.

I had a 97 back in 98 and I loved that one too. It was great and I always wanted another one, now I have the 06 bike that I have been riding for almost a year. I have worked on a few things to make it a little more comfortable and once that stuff is completed, I do believe I will ride this bike for a while, which is rare for me to keep one for more than year.

Thanks for the info, rigger. The jump from a KLR to VFR is quite intentional. I was initially thinking of an older K1200RS or R1100S, but I think the Honda would be a better option at this point. My main goal is to have a solid commuter with a little more weather protection and more power --the KLR is my only personal transportation and I'm happy with it life that way, and I want something that can competently tour and go for long day-trips (with my uncle--gotta keep up with him on his K1300GT!) through the twisties. So, it seems like the VFR does all these things quite well.

The one I'm looking at already has a Power Commander which I understand smooths out the VTEC kick, but I'm not too concerned with that. I'll be enjoying the increase in power no matter what. I used to drive a Volvo 940 turbo, too. Not quite VTEC, but it was a unique experience *stand on gas, wait, wait, blooooossshhhhhh*. The '03 I'm considering has a few other nice farkles and generally seems in good shape.

• Member Contributer

I have both ......they are entirely different bikes of course. Why not keep the KLR and get a VFR too. You enjoy their respective attributes more when you switch between bikes.

What do you intend using the VFR for...............touring, weekend blasts, commuting? Your intended purpose may steer you to the better model.

• Member Contributer

Red fifth gens are the best VFRs! It may be worth your while to check one out.

There, I've done it! Let the Gen Wars begin.

I have both ......they are entirely different bikes of course. Why not keep the KLR and get a VFR too. You enjoy their respective attributes more when you switch between bikes.

What do you intend using the VFR for...............touring, weekend blasts, commuting? Your intended purpose may steer you to the better model.

I can't afford both at the moment. One income, one kiddo and another coming down the chute

As for what I'm specifically seeking, stated in the post above, a little bit of all of those three:

1. My main goal is to have a solid commuter with a little more weather protection and more power
2. I want something that can competently tour and go for long day-trips (with my uncle--gotta keep up with him on his K1300GT!) through the twisties. So, it seems like the VFR does all these things quite well.

Archived