Power Commander V

polbit

Looks like we are weeks away from being able to get the PCV for the new VFR. I've never had a PC for any of my fuel injected bikes, so I was wondering - can you really tell the difference? I have to be honest, I wish the VFR had a bit more power, and I'm cool with spending the money, but it needs to make sense. It would be nice to find a big bore kit to take it to 1,000 cc, but I'm not holding my breath :) I love the bike - the V4, ergos, Honda quality, they are perfect for me.I just miss the rush of power...

I had one on my 6th gen but that was because the fuelling was bad. On this bike the fuelling is much better even with an aftermarket pipe, and I wont be bothering.

A PC is unlikely to give any detectable increase in power unless coupled with other mods but really you wont squeeze much more out of this engine unless you supercharge it IMO

• Member Contributer

As dogman says, good for fi fix on older models, no good for power without other mods. Got my 5th gen up to 112hp (from 95 std) at the mo with more to come. Engine only has external mods & a revised set of cams, with a PC3 to correct the fuelling.

You can use a PCV for the existing 6th gen, if you are getting a custom map done. PC screw the system, every PC is the same except for the map it holds & the connection to the loom, so pretty much any Honda PC will work as it has the right connectors !

Well, I've done a very bad thing... A buddy of mine wanted my help to buy a Harley. To make a long (very long) story short, he rode out on a nice 1200, and I rode out on a new 2014 Night Rod with Stage 1 mods... Between the two bikes, I'm all set! No need to worry about increasing power on the Interceptor anymore...

• 7 months later...

I had one on my 6th gen but that was because the fuelling was bad. On this bike the fuelling is much better even with an aftermarket pipe, and I wont be bothering.

A PC is unlikely to give any detectable increase in power unless coupled with other mods but really you wont squeeze much more out of this engine unless you supercharge it IMO

I noticed Arrow racing has a map listed on the Power Commander web site. There are only three listed.

But it specifically states with factory intake.

If I plan on getting an arrow exhaust with a K&N does that mean I need a custom map?

Or do I not need a PC at all since I'm increasing air flow on both sides?

I had a Leo Vince with my 1200F with a K&N and no PC.... Seemed fine without it.

I noticed Arrow racing has a map listed on the Power Commander web site. There are only three listed.

But it specifically states with factory intake.

If I plan on getting an arrow exhaust with a K&N does that mean I need a custom map?

Or do I not need a PC at all since I'm increasing air flow on both sides?

I had a Leo Vince with my 1200F with a K&N and no PC.... Seemed fine without it.

Well you wont know until the pipe and air filter are fitted, whether it has affected the mixture (AFR) at all.

Have a look at the map on the PC site and see if there are any "big" numbers in it, and whether they are positive or negative, and where in the rev range they are and make an assessment on that, bearing in mind the map would be set for maximum power so it may be a bit richer rather than a bit leaner.

If the bike runs smoothly, doesn't feel down on power anywhere, doesn't hesitate or stumble, and your fuel usage is no less than it was before, then its a safe bet that it hasn't gone leaner, and that is a good thing as a lean mixture is not good for the engine.

If the map is full of zeros then it isnt doing anything at all, (except for having eliminated the 02 sensors)

I fitted the Akrapovic to mine and it runs perfectly, and I am very sensitive to poor fuelling.

I dont think a K&n filter passes any more air than the stock filter anyway.

Thanks Guys. In the interim I spoke to Brad over @ SuperBike Supply, he said the same thing.

Unless Im getting a full system eliminating the cat, I wont need the PCV.

Side Note....Dogman

The Stock Intake is high flow like K&N? Is It Paper?

Yes the stock filter is paper and is slightly larger in area than a K&N but is a throwaway item of course whereas K&n and BMC are serviceable.

IIRC the BMC flows a bit more than a K&n.

Yes the stock filter is paper and is slightly larger in area than a K&N but is a throwaway item of course whereas K&n and BMC are serviceable.

IIRC the BMC flows a bit more than a K&n.

Ok thanks I'll look into those.

Archived