'97 Can I Lower By Rotating Triangle Plates?

• Member Contributer

I searched the forum for lowering the rear end and only found 2 posts. One mentioned you could rotate the triangle plates forward 1/3 of a turn and get 3/4 of an inch, There was a picture I don't know what generation it was but the plates had an arrow and were hollow in the middle. I looked at my '97 plates and they are solid with no arrows. Question is will rotating my plates lower my '97?? If not I'll buy lowering plates not that expensive but if I can save a little here I can spend it on something else. Sorry if I'm posting in wrong section but thought 3-4 gen owners would be more familiar with this. Any ones input would be appreciated. Thanks Dana.

• 2 months later...

I searched the forum for lowering the rear end and only found 2 posts. One mentioned you could rotate the triangle plates forward 1/3 of a turn and get 3/4 of an inch, There was a picture I don't know what generation it was but the plates had an arrow and were hollow in the middle. I looked at my '97 plates and they are solid with no arrows. Question is will rotating my plates lower my '97?? If not I'll buy lowering plates not that expensive but if I can save a little here I can spend it on something else. Sorry if I'm posting in wrong section but thought 3-4 gen owners would be more familiar with this. Any ones input would be appreciated. Thanks Dana.

Yes you can lower the bike by rotating the triangular plates......I cut a bit out the seat, flipped the plates and had my side stand cut as well. My 96 vfr definately sits lower and is a lot easier for me to ride......I am 5'4" tall with a 27 inch inseam....i am 58 years old by the way and ride my vfr everywhere.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I tried to rotate my plates and could find no combination where they would bolt on and not interfere with link or shock. In what direction did you "flip" them? Thanks.

Yes you can lower the bike by rotating the triangular plates......I cut a bit out the seat, flipped the plates and had my side stand cut as well. My 96 vfr definately sits lower and is a lot easier for me to ride......I am 5'4" tall with a 27 inch inseam....i am 58 years old by the way and ride my vfr everywhere.

It will completely alter the suspension geometry and shock travel in relation to swing arm travel. It is a very bad idea

• Member Contributer

It will completely alter the suspension geometry and shock travel in relation to swing arm travel. It is a very bad idea

technically, yes. but very few people wring all they can out of the bike.

as long as the front is lowered to match ,its a tried a true mod that wont hurt anyone as long as they dont drag the bottom of the bike.

Archived