More On Trail Braking

OutlawsJustice

• Member Contributer

Why the heck is it called trail braking? Kinda makes it seem like it's something other than loading the front suspension when entering a corner.

• Member Contributer

It's called trail braking because you are braking to the apex of the curve, and trailing off transitioning to throttle at the apex. It has nothing to do with which brake you use as it applies to technique not what kind of vehicle you are operating. Trail braking is SOP in the RX7 race car I drive, and at track days. I use it on the street too, but only when I have a clear sight line through the curve. Use it in blind curves at your peril.

While it can be a useful technique on the the road it is primarily a track oriented technique since when you are racing you should either be on the throttle or on the brakes never coasting.

• Member Contributer

The definition of "trail braking" has been pointed out numerous times in these discussions ad nauseam. Obviously "lead" would mean before, and "trail" is after, as Gradus stated. In the past it did originally mean with the trailing, (rear) brake, duh! Nowadays we have tires that actually grip the pavement, so the front brake can be used just as much as the rear. It is still called "trail braking", and is continuous application of braking forces while leaning the motorcycle, front, rear, or both. In a car it's obviously both.

Pleeeeeaaaaase stop making it into Quantum Physics! If you ride on the track, you have probably done it and pretty much have to know when you do, unless you race asleep! If you ride street and have not done it, don't worry; you will know when it happens. If you get good at it, yes, it will make you a safer street rider if you have it in your bag of tools for controlling situations on the street, just like on the track.

The difference is how well and how much you use it.To make it reeeaaal simple, that means anywhere between your Grandmother and Marc Marquez. Got it?

Ded

• Member Contributer

Yes. I got it. Thank you for clarifying that.

BTW It's braking not breaking. The first referring to the slowing of motion. The second referring to an object becoming unable to perform its intended purpose. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

:blush: Uh, ooops! I guess the second would be CRASHING. (It's late, I'm asleep...) Wasn't directed at you, Chuck, just the discussion in general...

Thanks

ded

• Member Contributer

The difference is how well and how much you use it.To make it reeeaaal simple, that means anywhere between your Grandmother and Marc Marquez. Got it?

Thought this point could be said again. A few posts seem to assume that you're close to 100% of your available traction. You could be using less than 50% of your traction, going into an unfamiliar, blind, decreasing radius curve and using trail braking to increase your safety margin. You don't know if you need to tighten your line to avoid (insert: gravel, stick, dead animal, car in your lane, bring your bike to a stop, etc). ....then, you'll get to decide if more braking or getting on the gas is your next move.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I find my self doing this on downhill curves just because it made the bike feel more stable. It took me awhile to get comfortable with downhill curves and "trail braking" helped for me. Cool to learn that it's a racing technique.

• Member Contributer

Hey Rolo,

Glad these posts helped. Remember that on downhills there is much more front tire traction being used up already, and the rear will be much lighter, making condition of your rubber, the feeling through your brake lever, and your own perception of road surface, camber, temperature, and friction under your tire (the real tricky one...) very important to practice all the time. You live in a great place for it!

Ded

Archived