86 Vfr Carb Rebuild

midias

Recently my 86 VFR 750 has started leaking a lot of gas while running. I thought it was the fuel Ts but it turned out to be a float bowl gasket. So now I have a couple of questions.

After getting experience with my other V4 (82 Magna) I have learned a few things.

1, The fuel Ts are weak and they can and will break. They are expensive to replace.

2. The diaphragms can rip when the cover is removed. If the plunger has some drag when pushed up they are probably good.

3. Syncing these carbs can suck.

Now some questions.

1. Would you bother removing the carbs from the pletnum to replace the fuel T o rings and take a chance breaking a hard to find part?

2. Would you take off the diaphragm covers for inspection?

I just disassembled and cleaned the carbs on my '83. I considered the same issues you are facing and decided it was worth the risk to get the job done right. Not to state the obvious but slow deliberate steps will ensure the job gets done with minimal problems. I always get into trouble when I'm pressed for time and I rush. Keep the plenum on until the carbs are off and out and the tubes won't break.

Thanks, I did my magnas without an issue but I was reading on the VFR forum and found this. Maybe they were talking about removing it before the carbs are out?

the rubber boots...if you can afford it replace them ...the plastic tubes be very careful. do not remove the air plenum!!! unless you want to be looking for springs and finding those plastic tubes which are pretty much not available...

other than that good luck she looks good

Well to post the pictures ,here is a computer trick.

when in the photo file hold the control key down and select the photo's you want to place on the tableau to the posting . hope that helped..
Nice pics, as stated DON'T dismantle the intake plate use a GM carb cleans to do the work of cleaning . remove the jets and other parts. have fun and do buy new intake rubbers as it is impossible to reinstall, they cost @ $11.00 each, cheers Mike R..

As stated by others.....DO NOT REMOVE ,FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY AND SACRED,THE MANIFOLD THAT HOLDS THE CARBS TOGETHER!!!!!You will have screwed the pooch if you do so. A dalmation in case you were wondering.

just one more time to be clear- DO NOT remove the plate !!!

• Member Contributer

Rebuit the carbs on an 86 Honda Rebel 450. Found pin holes in the diaphragms. Had to get new ones from England, none in the U.S.

Yea I am going to take it all apart and check. Been through this with the magna just double checking before I make a fatal error.

The difference between the Magna and the Interceptor is the frame when it comes to the removal of the carbs. The Magna doesn't have the same kind of boxed frame so getting the carbs in and out is a bit easier. I was surprised at how much I used the plenum as a source of torque to remove and install the carbs. Now once they are out and safely on your bench the you can remove the plate. There are some little springs that might popout after the plate is removed and the carbs are free to move. They are easy to put back in place and they only fit in a couple of spots and a quick camera pic will help figure there positions if they do pop. I was simply doing a heavy cleaning on my carbs so I did not break them completely apart. I used some large zip ties to hold them all in place when I soaked the in the pine sol solution. As far as the diaphrams, I guess I got lucky. They were all pliable, in good shape, and came out with no issues. Good luck with the job!

Thanks for the tips, I got them out last night and started on the bowls. The bike ran decent but was leaking a bunch of gas from one of the float bowls.

IMG_20140728_214654_319_zpsagj2i6yc.jpg

IMG_20140728_221226_624_zpsudr2ospf.jpg

• Member Contributer

The PO who had my VF750F removed the plenum and then tried to pull the carbs. 3 of the 4 plastic tubes were broken and he stopped right there. Guess who was the lucky one to pay for replacements?

If you plan to do an extensive carb overhaul, I highly recommend Mike Nixon's book. You can find it here: http://www.v4hondacarbs.com/ I actually had him go through them on both of my VF's and was blown away by the quality of his work.

Got it all back together last night. I took them apart and off the manifold, replaced every O ring and bench synced them. I also replaced all the screws, thermostat and fuel filter.

I found a nice universal duralast filter (FF3419DL) that fit so I could ditch the old EMGO one.

Started ASAP and ran well, I adjusted the idle and it held steady at 1100 RPM. Carbs felt good, no flat spots or stumbling but then it started pouring so more testing soon.

IMG_20140804_203617_776_zpsrwqtqe7q.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got it all back together last night. I took them apart and off the manifold, replaced every O ring and bench synced them. I also replaced all the screws, thermostat and fuel filter.

I found a nice universal duralast filter (FF3419DL) that fit so I could ditch the old EMGO one.

Started ASAP and ran well, I adjusted the idle and it held steady at 1100 RPM. Carbs felt good, no flat spots or stumbling but then it started pouring so more testing soon.

IMG_20140804_203617_776_zpsrwqtqe7q.jpg

pouring what ?? rain or gas what a democrat

pouring what ?? rain or gas what a democrat

Ouch I dont think I have ever been called a democrat.

It was pouring rain. A few days later I took the bike for a longer ride. Got 3.5 gallons of 87 ethanol free fuel to mix with the old gas after about 7 miles she started acting like her old self again. The bike seemed really happy to get some fresh fuel in the mix. No fuel leaks, stumbling or surging.

I have put a few hundred miles on it so far sens the rebuild and it runs perfect. I really missed this bike it is very different that the Magna or big brother 1200.

Unfortunately it is getting cold and the snow is coming so soon it will be time for its winter sleep.

Archived