Vtec Clutch Disk Question

expvet

• Member Contributer

I am going to order some parts to replace my clutch disks and plates on a 2006 VFR and have 3 questions.

The diagrams below are from the Honda 6th Gen sercice manual. They show 2 types of friction plates (A and B)

post-24160-0-74877000-1406520522.jpgpost-24160-0-91492200-1406520535.jpg

The manual diagram shows 9 friction plates, 1 (A) that is put in first and 8 (B) that follow it. with 7 metal plates between them. But on the fiche at Partzilla and Ron Ayers for the 2006 they show three types of friction plates to order. Note that they are three different part numbers. The fiche shows 8 friction plates (parts 7,8 and 9) and 7 metal plates (part 10). So who is correct, and is there really a different plate (part # 7) as the last friction disk which the manual does not mention.

post-24160-0-77657600-1406520616.jpgpost-24160-0-56155900-1406521574.jpg

The second question is concerning the metal plates. There is a smooth side and a side that is a more textured. They are also distinguished by one edge having a sharpness and the other being dull. Which side should be facing towards the engine as they are stacked between the friction plates?

And finally, I could not find in the manual the torque value for the 14 right crankcase cove bolts. Can anyone show me where in the manual I can find this or what that value is?

The Honda manual on this site is a 2002, there are changes with a 2006 that many don't find out till they actually get into a repair, so I would go by Ronayers year model fische.

• Member Contributer

I have the 2006 manual which shows the same 9 disk diagram. I believe that the illustration they used is from the 98-99 model, so I am going with the fiche count of 8 friction and 7 plates. The crankcase bolts are shown on a thread for a 5th gen clutch installation on VFRD by Miguel as taking 9 pounds of torque and that appears right. My only remaining question is the orientation of the 7 metal plates. Which side should be facing the engine when being installed, which would be either the textured vs. smooth side or the edge that is sharp edge vs. dull. Operators are standing by!

Archived