2002 Vtec Random Cut Outs?

Otaylor38

Hi guys. I havent posted here before as iv only had the bike a week or so, but i have been reading up on here whilst i was searching :).

I eventually found a bike i was happy to buy last week, which is a very clean example of the 2002 vfr800 vtec with 15000 miles on the clock and a few little extras:

-data tool system 3

- givi panniers

- scotoiler

-gear indicator.

Love the bike, but unfortunately iv been encountering a few problems with it.

The other day i had a ride out and noticed that twice whilst in traffic, the engine had just stopped. Strange i thought, maybe just rider error as its a new bike which im unfamiliar with.

However on the way back that same day, i noticed whilst stopped at a junction that the bike was trying to idle at around 600rpm and i needed to rev it to keep it going, otherwise it was going to stall. Soon after it returned to the normal idle rpm (about 1100rpm).

Then on my way back tonight (in the pitch black) things got a little more serious. I was travelling at about 80mph (atleast!) and the lights went out and the engine died completely for a second but then came back to life with next to no responsiveness to the throttle.

I pulled the clutch in and pulled the throttle back as soon as it cut out to try and get it back to life.

It did come back with a flash of the FI light and brought my headlights back on too.

Luckily i was going in a straight line, as this happening mid corner could of been extremely nasty

So. Any ideas what could be up with it?

Sorry for the lengthy first post!

Sounds like a bad earth to me. Have a search for the big blue connector fix. Bikes in the UK were not recalled for a harness fix/replacement like the US. My bike had simmilar issues which got worse and finally ended up with the bike buzzing and not starting at all. The connector fix adds a couple of extra earth wires either side of the blue connector. It's also worth cleaning and spraying all connectors with wd40 or acf50 every year or so. My bike had these issues at 20k and has been 100% reliable since.

• Member Contributer

What you described is exactly what my bike did when the famous blue connector melted. Good luck with the fix.

Took it back to the shop this morning and explained what had happened, needless to say he had no idea where to start.

So i showed him this thread and the link provided.

He rang me tonight saying he'd done this fix shown on the link and to see how i go with it.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow. Be a while before iv got the confidence to do any decent speed in the darkness again though!

Thanks for all your help :). I'll be stickin around readin n learnin more about the bike :).

I had a similar problem for me it was a bad earth at the front harness earth connector after a clean up all seams ok at the moment.

Here's a photo of the connector

post-26989-0-92632400-1406461573.jpg

post-26989-0-94785600-1406461595.jpg

Cheers (: thatll be my next port of call then, if it happens again (got my fingers crossed it wont at the moment)

Is that at the right hand side fairing? Looks its next to the fuse box?

Cheers

Archived