1984 Vf750R - Good Buy?

Guest treitz

Guest treitz

I haven't introduced myself yet because I don't own a VFR. However that could change in the next day or two.

I am looking at a 1984 VF750R that has around 35k miles on it, for less than $1,000. Seams like a good deal to me. Just looking for input here on specific things to look for when I check it out.

Thanks!

The first concern I'd have over a '84 VF750R with 35k miles would be the possibility of camshaft wear issues. Of course, this is not something that can be easily confirmed or denied w/o a detailed inspection although pronounced valve train "clatter" could provide a clue. Note that these early-generation Honda V-4 engines developed deserved reputations for these issues which were caused by a design which provided insufficient lubrication to the valve train components. The problems may also compounded by the use of forked rocker arms with screw & lock nut clearance adjusters, which if not carefully monitored could provide uneven loads on the camshaft lobes. Some "fixes" for the lack of lubrication were later offered by the aftermarket which could better protect the top end from premature wear. So it's possible the example you're interested in could have been modified accordingly.

Don't forget that the motorcycle you're considering is 30 years-old, so new replacement parts except for basic tune up items like spark and filters may be unavailable, if not least very hard to come by except from motorcycle junk yards or on e-bay. You definitely won't be able to obtain many parts through your local Honda dealer.

I'm sure there are others on the forum who are more familiar with the models than I who may also chime in. Note: I owned a '83 V-65 Magna (1100 cc) and still own a '85 V-30 Magna (500 cc) inherited from my Dad...both of which share V-4 engines which are similar in design to the '84 VF750R. I fear my Magna was showing signs of camshaft wear issues before I sold it after ~ 30k miles, but I'm hopeful when I try to resurrect my Dad's V-30 I may find the engine to be o.k. since it's always been stored indoors and has just over 7k miles on the clock.

So unless you're the patient type, competent with turning your own wrenches and willing and able to work on and diagnose mechanical, fuel, hydraulic braking and electrical systems I'd probably recommend that you pass on this one-unless it's in outstanding condition.

Lastly. although the '84 VF750R may share the designation "Interceptor" with later sporting models featuring Honda's V-4 engines, technically I don't believe it qualifies to be called a "VFR", since the only the later models with 180 degree crankshaft design are true VFRs, which I believe were first sold in the U.S. beginning with the '86 model year.

Once you hear the exhaust notes of the two engine designs, you'll know they're clearly not the same

• Member Contributer

First off, there was never an '84 VF750R...it's a VF750F. Besides the normal stuff that can go to hell on a 30 year old bike, the cams and followers were prone to premature wear. I won't go into the many theories as to why this happened or the "fixes" for it, but some were bad and some weren't. It's not accurate to say they all were bad but a significant number ended up failing. That said, I would pull the valve covers and check the condition of all the lobes. If you see pitting or scoring, it's not the end of the world but you'll be buying used ones and their followers or having them resurfaced. Resurfacing can be pricey and used ones can be a crap shoot but do-able.

If they look good, that's a huge bullet dodged and if the rest of it is in fair shape, you might have a deal at $1k. Without pictures it's hard to tell you if it's a deal or not. You have to factor in all the stuff that used bikes usually need...brakes, chain/sprockets, fork seals, battery, etc to know if it's worth it or not.

EDIT: Looks like SS beat me to it while I was writing.

Link to Craiglist: http://boise.craigslist.org/mcy/4474174204.html

Background on myself that I was saving for my introduction if I buy the bike...

I have about 4 years of experience on vintage bikes. I purchased a 1979 KZ400 in boxes that I assembled and have been tuning/working on over the last few years. Over the last two summer I worked on a CX500 build and a XS850 build. I recently purchased a XS850 for myself after selling the other one. I sold the KZ400 to buy a cheaper DD and put some more money into the 850. I've great things about these V4's, but I've also heard about the cam wear.

I have quite a bit of experience with exterior mechanical (i.e. brakes, carbs, suspension, etc.) but very little with engines. So a bad camshaft would not be something I'd want to handle. I'm going to look at it tonight, so we will see how things look.

Thanks for the input so far.

I'd save the money and look for an early VFR of '86 or later. Surely it'll be a better buy, as it'll last much longer & be easier to get parts for. The early VFR's can be cheap but are still great bikes.

Honestly, I'm not looking for a long term bike. I'm looking for something to ride and enjoy while I'm building my other bike. If I make my $1,000 back next year, or make a few bucks on it, even better.

I'll paint it this winter and make sure everything is looking good to sell next summer.

I looked at it tonight and it sounded good. Based on what I can see on Craigslist right now, I can't see a better running/rideable bike for less than $1,000 which is my budget.

If the bike has 35K on it and it runs good and sounds good chances are that the cam problem has already happened and has been repaired or it has not happened. Not all of the first gens had the issue. I bought an 85 VF700 last summer with just over 30K. The bike runs flawlessly. Others have stated the bike is 30 years old so stay away from it. If everyone took that advice there would be no restored Norton's,Triumph's, or Muscle cars, or anything old. If you are looking to get a year or so out of it and it runs good and does not need a lot to get it on the road then I would go for it.

Treitz, welcome aboard. Get some pics up of your new find. I have your bike's skinnier brother, a VF700F, in my garage. After restoring and riding 3 Triples myself over the last couple of years, the Interceptor is quite a change!

Archived