The $65 Gen 3 Topbox

BRad704

I'm extra tight on my nickels when it comes to buying things for myself. Especially when they aren't "totally necessary". So when I set out to add luggage to Betsy ('cause Red White Blue MURICA and whatnot), I was looking for a low cost way to get there.

Enter the Universal Detachable Top Box from the auction site that I not sure if we are allowed to mention by name. Aaaaaand my wife's old charcoal grill.

$35 shipped for the box and free grill. $30 in grade 5 hardware and extra metals.

I did a few laps around the block for the picture game, with my running shoes and a huge beach towel in the box. Everything seems tight and secure. Plus it is big enough to get my helmet inside when I go to the store. YAY!!!

qytegyre.jpg7epezuna.jpgdenu7yju.jpgnuraha5e.jpgygu4ehun.jpg9y6yju5u.jpg

I know it's not "finished" finished... I still need to get some correct length bolts, plus the hardware for the plate to rack needs to be upgraded and include nylocks. I also have to trim the corners of the rack platform before sanding, primer and paint.

I'm undecided on welding it all solid. I'll ride it this way for a while, just to make sure there aren't any alignment issues.

Not sure about the 1200's top box rack system, but I can tell you that the 6th gen's OE box moves around quite a bit due to rubber bushings that the plate bolts run through to the rack. (or somewhere)

Enough movement to draw comments from other riders if it is mounted correctly (It is)

I don't feel the movement while riding but the audio on a go-pro type recorder picks up the chatter when mounted close by.

I think welding it solid may cause some cracking in the long run. Maybe swap some of the stacked washers for rubber?

The metal edge of that plate looks awfully close to the paint job..

Looks great otherwise!

Good point on the stacked washers. Those are really there becuase my platform is just a bit wider than the box mounting plate. I had to get it higher, so it wouldn't flex when tightened. I like the rubber idea. I actually have some 3/4" long rubber engine plugs on my desk right now. :) they may be a little too tall, but it's worth trying out.

I'm not sure a large pizza box would lay flat in the bottom. But I'm pretty confident that two 6-packs plus snacks will fit juuuust fine. :)

This is actually phase 1 of touring prep, so I can make it to the Arkansas Hog Tie this September. Next up is probably going to be a tank bag. Saw one on 'bay for about $35, ~20liter.

Archived